75 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
Howdy all! I've been lurking on the forum for a while but haven't formally posted. I've been keeping fish for most of my life. For the last 8 years I've focused on saltwater reefs, but since starting college I've found it to be a little too expensive for my current lifestyle. I've been dabbling with planted tanks for the last 2 years, and really like them, but I'm looking to set up something a little different.

I have a spare 75 gallon tank sitting in my basement that I'm going to do leak tests on, and if it holds I'm looking at setting up a "Mini Monster" community. I'm not overly familiar with the diversity of monster fish available, so I wanted to ask the community if they have any ideas?

Some fish that I've been looking at are "smaller" bichers (small being a relative term) and spiny eels. I also like the look of hujeta gar, but don't know if they would be appropriate to house with other fish. Any suggestions for stocking spp. and quantity would be appreciated!

I also had a second question- looking at doing a sump for filtration, I have a spare Mag5 and Mag7 pump which I've used for saltwater before, would they produce too much flow for a Mini Monster community?

Thank you for any suggestions in advance, I look forward to becoming a part of the community!

-N

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Smaller polys that I recommend are Senegal (active), Delhezi (cool looking, often active), Palmas (attractive), and Polli (active).
Mokelembembes are attractive but can be more shy depending on the fish. Retropinnis and Buettekoferi are notorious for being shy.

There are also rope fish, which should be kept in a group of 3+

All of those guys need a very tight/secure lid with zero gaps.

Ctenopoma Acutirostre is a nice tankmate for these guys, as are Congo tetras and African butterflies. I'm going with an african theme for you. :)

I can't really speak to the spiny eels or the gar, but I'm sure someone else will.

Reactions: tlindsey

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
I like the idea of an african theme, although I'm more than willing to be flexible with that. The leopard ctenopa look really neat, I saw one once and they were interesting. African butterflies are always a neat fish to look at as well, I don't have any experience with congo tetras though.

I like ropefish, but I heard they are a bit reclusive- I'm definitely looking for some more active or at least visible fish.

I'll have to look more into the dwarf pike cichlids as well, never really been a cichlid guy but they look really interesting!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
My rope fish are active- they do better in groups, which helps. Mine love plants.

Mine eat out of my fingers. Love them!

You might not want a spiny eel if you don't want a reclusive fish. The Senegal and pollis are good choices for active polys.

Reactions: tlindsey

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
Would rope fish do okay with a senegal or polli? And good to know, maybe I'll shy away from the eel idea for now. Any midwater spp that are active like congos that would be able to hold their own/not be considered food items?

After researching I dont think that hujeta gar would work, they would really limit the stocking.

Reactions: magpie

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Senegal bichirs are awesome. I'd also recommend African knives, kinda reclusive but with cover and plants you will see them

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yes, my ropes hang out together but also with the other polys.

If you have a bare tank with out much cover they'll hide. They need to feel secure to be out. Floating plants are recommended even if you don't do live plants in the substrate. Also other decor in the tank.

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
So the more I'm thinking, I'm really liking the idea of an African low light tank. Do a sand substrate, some floating plants, some nice branching driftwood with river stones, and maybe some low light plants like anubius and maybe some crypts. This is just an idea and nothing is set in stone though.

I think I'm a definite for a senegal and polli, maybe a few ropefish as well. The african butterfly and leopard ctenopa are cool but aren't deal breakers. Not digging the congo tetras, at least for this proposed set up.

I like the brown african knifes, they definitely add variety- I'll have to look more into them.

Hendre, tank looks great!

Still open for other suggestions, definitely not limited to african spp.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store