75 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I had to use big crypts to keep them rooted and have the ends between pieces of wood to maximize my chances of keeping them in, they're hiding in the back.

Another nice low light plant is bolbitis, the tall fern like plants which can be pricey and grow slowly so be patient :)

Anubais and floating plants would be a good mix, I'm experimenting with anubias and frogbit.

The knives are great, I recently got 2 more and they are busy as a group of 4.

Tbh the shy fish aren't too shy once comfy. I have 2 senegals, 4 knives and a synodontis catfish and there's always something happening :)

African is awesome!
Says me from South Africa

Reactions: magpie

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would do a colony of cryptoheros. Nanoluteus would work well, septemfasciatus are rare and jeff rapps has them in stock, most cryptoheros/amatitlania would work (panamensis too). 1m/4f or 2m/4f if your feeling lucky. Lots of rockwork for them to dart in and out of.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
What other types of fish are you interested in? If you want different ideas...

Cichlids or no?

I know some who have done multiple ctenopomas in large enough tanks with cover... but have also read they can get testy with each other. Might be fun to try 2-3 together if others think it might be OK. They are really cool fish. Poly Pinni Poly Pinni - how big is your tank? Do you think he could do multiple adult Ctenos in a 75 with cover?

If you stick to one Cteno, then you'd want something else for the middle waters. (That's why I suggested Congos.) You'd need something deeper bodied to be sure they wouldn't be eaten by the polys. (Who would likely eat any small tetras like rummynose, cardinals, etc.)

Last edited:

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
Cichlids just don't interest me that much ATM, I'm really open to any other fish ideas. Multiple Ctenos would be cool, but I definitely don't want to push it if they'll become aggressive to eachother as they age.

I'm looking for a midwater spp, it doesn't have to be a schooler like the congos, one or two larger single fish would be fine with me for midwater. I'm a fan of oddballs, but not exclusively a fan of them if that makes sense. Still don't know a lot of the "monster fish" out there

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Cichlids just don't interest me that much ATM, I'm really open to any other fish ideas. Multiple Ctenos would be cool, but I definitely don't want to push it if they'll become aggressive to eachother as they age.

I'm looking for a midwater spp, it doesn't have to be a schooler like the congos, one or two larger single fish would be fine with me for midwater. I'm a fan of oddballs, but not exclusively a fan of them if that makes sense. Still don't know a lot of the "monster fish" out there
My senegals swim so much they can qualify :p

African butterflies are kinda good I guess, mine died a few days after introduction for reasons unknown to me, it was still eating and looked fine. But regardless an option maybe?

Bertie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
London
If you do the African tank go with the African knives and a synodontis eupterus, then a group of west African tetras like micralestes and some WA cichlids like kribensis and hemichromis. I like my tanks to be really active and polys won't be that active and restrict your stocking.

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
I like the idea of an african set up, but I'm willing to deviate from that if need be. For me, the polypterus are what I want to stock around, they're a fish I've always wanted to keep.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you do the African tank go with the African knives and a synodontis eupterus, then a group of west African tetras like micralestes and some WA cichlids like kribensis and hemichromis. I like my tanks to be really active and polys won't be that active and restrict your stocking.
Polys are active. Especially senegals

I like the idea of an african set up, but I'm willing to deviate from that if need be. For me, the polypterus are what I want to stock around, they're a fish I've always wanted to keep.
My tank is 2 x P. senegalus, 4x African knife and a synodontis eupterus :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Polys are awesome but aren't active as a whole....but Senegals and Pollis are. Gotta qualify. ;)

Reactions: Hendre

PredatorCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2017
What about a smaller species of Birchir, Black Ghost Knife fish and maybe a Oscar? Lots of people say this will overstock it and that a 75 is the very minimum for a BGKF.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store