75 Gallon stocking

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
I am new to this site and the world of beautiful cichlids.

I currently have:
75 gallon tank
Fluval 6x filtration
ph 7.4
No nitrates/nitrites
No ammonia
Gh 80 kh 120
No heater, room temp 78-80 year round as I live in Puerto Rico

1 Jack Dempsey 2” max 10”
2 baby bristlenose 1.5” & 2” max 6” ea
6 yoyo loaches 2” max 6” ea
5 buenas aires tetras
5 red minor tetras

I would like to replace the tetras with 10-15 harlequin raspboras

and add

6-10 kuhli loaches

and add

2- red rainbow cichlids or
1- electric blue ram or
1-electric blue jack dempsey

Any suggestions? I understand at some point I may have to move the loaches if any of the cichlids become too aggressive.

I currently have 2 red blood parrots that were with the jd. But I feel sorry for the RBP as they cannot eat like the jd. I will be returning or rehoming them.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Is that all the stock? Nothing was mentioned about the BP until the end...

0 nitrates also tells me that your tank is not cycled.

Here is a link with some info on cycling, I think you should read it.

Once you read that you might want to hold off on changing/adding to your stock list. You might even consider returning some fish until your tank is cycled.

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
Yes the tank is fully cycled. All fish are currently in the 65 gallon tank. The 75 gallon tank will be their new home as I am getting rid of some to make them more compatible. Then, I will set up the 65g for the Mbuna.
Just verifying that the new lists are ok.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I currently have:
75 gallon tank
Fluval 6x filtration
ph 7.4
No nitrates/nitrites
No ammonia
Gh 80 kh 120
You said in this post there are no nitrates...this means A) your tank isn’t cycled B) you didn’t test your water or C) you tested wrong

How long has the tank been running?

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
It might have tested incorrectly, but it says 0. The tank has been fully overstocked for 3 months now. Live plants and fish.
I went thru the ammonia spike and all. I change 30-40% of the water weekly and rinse half of the filters in old tank water each week, half the next week; alternating so as to not kill the good bacteria.
I got used filter sponges when I started.

What am I missing?

All fish are healthy and thriving.

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
It might have tested incorrectly, but it says 0. The tank has been fully overstocked for 3 months now. Live plants and fish.
I went thru the ammonia spike and all. I change 30-40% of the water weekly and rinse half of the filters in old tank water each week, half the next week; alternating so as to not kill the good bacteria.
I got used filter sponges when I started.

What am I missing?

All fish are healthy and thriving.
I did some research and it said it can be at zero in a healthy tank. Could it be my media filtration keeping it at zero?

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
Is that all the stock? Nothing was mentioned about the BP until the end...

0 nitrates also tells me that your tank is not cycled.

Here is a link with some info on cycling, I think you should read it.

Once you read that you might want to hold off on changing/adding to your stock list. You might even consider returning some fish until your tank is cycled.
Thank you. Great information, I have been on this site for hours and hours. So enjoying all the posts and photos.
I am new to this site and the world of beautiful cichlids.

I currently have:
75 gallon tank
Fluval 6x filtration
ph 7.4
No nitrates/nitrites
No ammonia
Gh 80 kh 120

1 Jack Dempsey 2” max 10”
2 baby bristlenose 1.5” & 2” max 6” ea
6 yoyo loaches 2” max 6” ea
5 buenas aires tetras
5 red minor tetras

I would like to replace the tetras with 10-15 harlequin raspboras

and add

6-10 kuhli loaches

and add

2- red rainbow cichlids or
1- electric blue ram or
1-electric blue jack dempsey

Any suggestions? I understand at some point I may have to move the loaches if any of the cichlids become too aggressive.

I currently have 2 red blood parrots that were with the jd. But I feel sorry for the RBP as they cannot eat like the jd. I will be returning or rehoming them.

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
I know my current tank is not properly stocked. That is why I am asking about stocking both my 65g upright and 75g tanks before I move fish around to their new permanent homes. I only want to move them once.
The 2 bala sharks, danio and 4 tiger barbs go to their new home Monday. I was given these fish.
Finishing my 75 g aquarium diy background today and then getting plants and letting it run and cycle with current sand, filter media,
and dithers (tetras).

This is why Red Bloods were not mentioned, they are being rehomed, as stated.
Sorry if I did not clearly state my questions. I am new to all of this. Your patience is appreciated.

I know my water is ok.

Kimanngordon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2019
Puerto Rico
I know my current tank is not properly stocked. That is why I am asking about stocking both my 65g upright and 75g tanks before I move fish around to their new permanent homes. I only want to move them once.
The 2 bala sharks, danio and 4 tiger barbs go to their new home Monday. I was given these fish.
Finishing my 75 g aquarium diy background today and then getting plants and letting it run and cycle with current sand, filter media,
and dithers (tetras).

This is why Red Bloods were not mentioned, they are being rehomed, as stated.
Sorry if I did not clearly state my questions. I am new to all of this. Your patience is appreciated.

I think my water is ok

Well I just tested my nitrates and it looks like it is between 0 and 5, I assume this is good. I was thinking zero because its not at the 5 level. Thanks for the clar239F39E7-F964-4EF2-9018-961DC44195B5.jpegification.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store