75 GALLON TANKS

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I would have the shrimp in the 75 gallon breeding then add the puffer to help control them do they don’t over power the tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
There truly are a lot of different catfish species that I and many others can help you fill a 75 with. Perhaps you wanted to go with a mainly bichir tank? Our local poly group can help you. Maybe you want it to be a planted tank? I know Hendre Hendre has a planted tank. Rainbow wolffish? J jaws7777 had one with his bichirs if I remembered correctly. It's too small for any real predatory fish such as peacock bass or stingrays so they're out of the question. A severum would be nice. ryansmith83 ryansmith83 is very knowledgeable about severums. If you want to go with a light stocking then Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 is your man. SharptoothBass SharptoothBass is very knowledgeable about gobies, mainly larger ones but I think he could find a good one for your 75. kno4te kno4te and tlindsey tlindsey have general knowledge so they could likely point you in a few different directions. I'm leaving a few fish species out, I'm sure of it, but I can't seem to think of any more. Fat Homer Fat Homer and Angelphish Angelphish (I think) could talk to you about nano gobies if you want to make the other

Id go with 5 or 6 upper jaw bichirs and call it a day.

Red wolf could be fun as well

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
As the number of tanks in my care has climbed my motivation to upkeep them all has wavered. I ended up shifting my focus to pleco's because I found the motivation to do spot cleanings and water changes on the tail end of 10 and 12 hour work days where as my community tank started to miss weekly water changes.

I would focus on species your especially interested in that will hold you attention for longer and not rush into filling your stock. Wait for that special color morph or breed something that you find unique or special and then see if you have the space and can care for it properly. Way easier to find a place for a new type of fish when you don't have to cater to anything else in the tank.

If it was my 75 id have a colony of bristlenose in a more unique coloration to possibly generate a small income stream from, plus I love them. Other options I would consider are a Green Spotted Puffer as I love the interactions I have with my Figure Eight, slightly brackish but nothing too intimidating, tin foil barb nice and shiny, or maybe an Oscar if your looking for more of a water pet.

Reactions: FIU Panther

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
My 3 in puffer can knock down about 10 ghost shrimp in 5 mins. I definitely wouldnt stock them together as mosts puffer will eat them to the point of immobility. Dont rush into filling the tanks or you will be looking at rehoming fish you have no passion for.

Reactions: dr exum

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
There truly are a lot of different catfish species that I and many others can help you fill a 75 with. Perhaps you wanted to go with a mainly bichir tank? Our local poly group can help you. Maybe you want it to be a planted tank? I know Hendre Hendre has a planted tank. Rainbow wolffish? J jaws7777 had one with his bichirs if I remembered correctly. It's too small for any real predatory fish such as peacock bass or stingrays so they're out of the question. A severum would be nice. ryansmith83 ryansmith83 is very knowledgeable about severums. If you want to go with a light stocking then Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 is your man. SharptoothBass SharptoothBass is very knowledgeable about gobies, mainly larger ones but I think he could find a good one for your 75. kno4te kno4te and tlindsey tlindsey have general knowledge so they could likely point you in a few different directions. I'm leaving a few fish species out, I'm sure of it, but I can't seem to think of any more. Fat Homer Fat Homer and Angelphish Angelphish (I think) could talk to you about nano gobies if you want to make the other
yeah, im also into nano gobies but probably not quite as familiar as Angelphish Angelphish on the subject...

However, with nano gobies, to be successful with them you need a very mature tank and even then they can be quite finicky to keep.

Add to that the often hefty price tag they can carry means they arent necessarily the best choice depending on experience level...
I see that I've finally earned the reputation of the goby guy...

As stated they need a mature tank, but in my opinion it's worth the wait. The best way to describe them is a personable polypterus or eel. They greet you like a puffer or cichlid would, but also somewhat resemble eels since they lay on the bottom of the tank, and sometimes drag themselves across the bottom with their fins. Dependency on algae and biofilm for feeding various by species. Genus such as Stiphodon and Sicyopterus are more algae grazers, whereas sicyopus and rhinogobius are more carnivorous scavengers, so what you choose really depends on what you prefer to feed and the behaviors you find most interesting. Rhinogobius and sicyopus can be fed frozen foods such as bloodworms, whereas stiphodon tend to stick to various surfaces to graze algae.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I see that I've finally earned the reputation of the goby guy...

As stated they need a mature tank, but in my opinion it's worth the wait. The best way to describe them is a personable polypterus or eel. They greet you like a puffer or cichlid would, but also somewhat resemble eels since they lay on the bottom of the tank, and sometimes drag themselves across the bottom with their fins. Dependency on algae and biofilm for feeding various by species. Genus such as Stiphodon and Sicyopterus are more algae grazers, whereas sicyopus and rhinogobius are more carnivorous scavengers, so what you choose really depends on what you prefer to feed and the behaviors you find most interesting. Rhinogobius and sicyopus can be fed frozen foods such as bloodworms, whereas stiphodon tend to stick to various surfaces to graze algae.
Will the stiphodon’s graze on nori/seaweed?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Will the stiphodon’s graze on nori/seaweed?
I would assume so, as mine took algae wafers.

From my experience, a lid is quite important for Stiphodon. Unfortunately my experience with them was rather shortlived because water changes seemed to spook them into jumping, so I lost them all within a few weeks. I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting them though, as others seem to have success with them. I think I just had a finicky batch.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I’m actually trying to stock a 75g also. It’s not set up yet but I would like to plan ahead. So I don’t end up with a tank full of fish I feel nothing for, which is good advice.

I’ve been keeping fish for about 20 years now and I got a lot of enjoyment out of cichlids, over time I enjoyed he smaller ones more than the larger ones. I found that you get the similar behaviour at a much more manageable size. I found having a whole tank dedicated to one huge aggressive fish was more visually boring to me.

If you like cichlids there are so many options that would work in a 75g. Personally I like nicaraguensis and fire mouths. Medium sized, can live with other tank mates, well coloured and interesting.

Mbuna would also work well if you want to breed colourful fish.

Also consider rainbow fish, or a Biotopes aquarium like West African, southeast Asian etc

Good luck!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I’m actually trying to stock a 75g also. It’s not set up yet but I would like to plan ahead. So I don’t end up with a tank full of fish I feel nothing for, which is good advice.

I’ve been keeping fish for about 20 years now and I got a lot of enjoyment out of cichlids, over time I enjoyed he smaller ones more than the larger ones. I found that you get the similar behaviour at a much more manageable size. I found having a whole tank dedicated to one huge aggressive fish was more visually boring to me.

If you like cichlids there are so many options that would work in a 75g. Personally I like nicaraguensis and fire mouths. Medium sized, can live with other tank mates, well coloured and interesting.

Mbuna would also work well if you want to breed colourful fish.

Also consider rainbow fish, or a Biotopes aquarium like West African, southeast Asian etc

Good luck!
Thanks man! Wow you’ve had fish before I was born? I thought about rainbow fish there pretty cool, I LOVE golden rams and gouramis would like 5 tangerine gouramis and 2 or 3 rams work in a 75 gallon tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store