75 going on 180

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah I'm still playing with it a bit the one is sitting just below the emergency drain but it will fluctuate a bit I need to close the valve a bit more. The other has a slight trickle out the emergency drain. It's close but I need some more time playing with it. Along with the sump I found a 1900 gph 38' head pump. It's apart soaking to get all the salt and calcium out. We will see how the works eventually. For safety sake I don't want any more the 1400gph to the tank. That actually is more then the emergency drains can handle so if both syphons clog I'm in a bad place. Lol. Current pump is getting about 800 gph to the tank.
Sounds like fun lol.

Hey what do you mean sitting below the e drain ? The water level or the actual siphon stand pipe ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I think that could cause problems or at the least keep the siphon from operating a little less efficiently. Can you lower the siphon stand pipe a few inches ?

Having the siphon close to the surface could lead to it whirlpooling and sucking air. Also having it lower creates more pressure and helps purge air quicker and maintain a stronger siphon.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I think that could cause problems or at the least keep the siphon from operating a little less efficiently. Can you lower the siphon stand pipe a few inches ?

Having the siphon close to the surface could lead to it whirlpooling and sucking air. Also having it lower creates more pressure and helps purge air quicker and maintain a stronger siphon.
I must have misunderstood the question the siphon pipe is lower then the emergency, it's about 5" lower. Just for some reason the water lvl in that over flow drops about 3" every 2-3 hrs. Which then causes a trickling water sound and for some reason the gate valve emits a sound also. Guessing the siphon is drawing air at that point and I'm hearing it in the valve. I just needed some time to adjust the valve again. I shoulda put the valves in the basement not under the stand which is behind a couch so a little bit of a pain to get to. I just didn't want to redo the entire plumbing yet in the basement. Once I get the new sump setup ready to go i'll need to redo some of the plumbing and if it works out to move them I will.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Ahh ok gotcha.

Sounds like closing it would help. They are so sensative smh.

Odd thing i could never get the water level in my overflows to match. No matter what i did one was always lower. After tearing the tank down and setting it back up again the water level is even....go figure

Reactions: twentyleagues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
J jaws7777 that's the flow out of the e drain. What do you think?
Ikd man im always on the conservative side of these things. If it were in my house i wouldnt be comfy with anything more than a very slight trickle and even that would probably not work for me. I keep the level maybe a lil less than a 1/4 inch below tje e drain but it does fluctuate depending on the water level of the sump.

Sometimes like right after a wc i'll get a trickle down the e drain but in a day or so its fine (evap)

Can you open the siphon a tad ? That should drop the water level ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ikd man im always on the conservative side of these things. If it were in my house i wouldnt be comfy with anything more than a very slight trickle and even that would probably not work for me. I keep the level maybe a lil less than a 1/4 inch below tje e drain but it does fluctuate depending on the water level of the sump.

Sometimes like right after a wc i'll get a trickle down the e drain but in a day or so its fine (evap)

Can you open the siphon a tad ? That should drop the water level ?
I can but then it starts doing what I was saying above doesnt seem to regulate it just fluctuates all day. Last session I had it was about .25" below the e drain most of the day, then about 4am I heard the siphon gurgle and keep gurgling for about an hour the the water level started to rise in the overflow back to about .25 below the edrain. I was informed by the wife every 4 hrs after that it did that cycle. If the siphon drain clogs atm it's only 800gph so the e drains can handle all that. It won't be quiet but it'll be safe.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I can but then it starts doing what I was saying above doesnt seem to regulate it just fluctuates all day. Last session I had it was about .25" below the e drain most of the day, then about 4am I heard the siphon gurgle and keep gurgling for about an hour the the water level started to rise in the overflow back to about .25 below the edrain. I was informed by the wife every 4 hrs after that it did that cycle. If the siphon drain clogs atm it's only 800gph so the e drains can handle all that. It won't be quiet but it'll be safe.
Mhh thats odd. It seems like its losing siphon then regaining it. Im wondering if the low gph is causing this. Or somehow air is being introduced.

Thr long drop to your basement is maybe increasing gph (gravity) and the pump cant keep up.
I guess yeah leave things be until you get the new pump situated.

Whats the diameter of the e drain ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store