7500 GALLON SHARK TANK FOR MY NEW HOME

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Kerimo, can you tell us something about the power consumption of the filtration system?

I'm planning to build a 30.000-40.000L saltwater aquarium for rays. I've already been in contact with MAT LSS. Some simulations show a power consumption close to 5kWh (without heating/cooling) which is too much for me. One option is to change filtration system, second option to scale down the volume of the aquarium.

That's why I'm wondering how did you manage to reduce power consumption as much as possible?

Kind regards,
Biologist Rob

Hello Rob,
Unfortunately, the consumption of electricity is one of the issues of having such a large aquarium. I also have a TECO heater/cooler attached to the system. The max total power consumption when heater/cooler is on does not exceed 6kW/h. I have not been in touch with other companies with regards to the filtration system because MAT is local and turned out to be much cheaper. I'd first recommend you to gather a few proposals for the intended volume and compare them. Then if the consumption is still too high, then I'd scale down the volume. What are the dimensions you were thinking of? If it's only going to be ray aquarium, it does not have to be deep.
Hope this helps...

Rob Bobbaers

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2015
Apart from being able to pay for the electrical bill, I'm trying to find a way to reduce power consumption so it will be a sustainable solution.

Thinking about dimensions of 5m (16 feet) x 3.6m (12 feet) groundspace for 2-3 rays.

I'd like to get in contact with you.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Hey guys,
I'm making big changes to the tank. I found out that the compatibility issue with sharks and reef fish in a larger tank is actually much more difficult to achieve. Thus, I have removed my two blacktips along with the triggers and the more aggresive groupers. Right now, I'm expecting a shipment which will contain more tropical fish along with a few more calmer but rare species of sharks. Can't wait to share the photos... but meanwhile, here's the list:
Acanthurus bariene 2
Acanthurus coeruleus 3
Acanthurus nigricans 1
Acanthurus sohal 2
Acanthurus triostegus 5
Zebrasoma veliferum 2
Siganus magnificus --- i'm not sure abou this one...
Centropyge acanthops 4
Centropyge potteri --- not sure about it either
Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus 2
Pomacanthus sexstriatus 1
Holacanthus tricolor 2
Chaetodon auriga 2
Chaetodon meyeri 2
Chaetodon collare 2
Chelmon rostratus 2
Heniochus acuminatus 2
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia 8
Thalassoma hardwicke 2
Thalassoma newtoni 1
Chrysiptera cyanea 25
Chrysiptera springeri 5
Chrysiptera talboti 4
Dascyllus aruanus 8
Neoglyphidodon oxyodon 5
Pomacentrus alleni 4
Xanthichthys ringens 1
Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides 3
Plectorhinchus vittatus 2
Lutjanus sebae 1
Bullhead shark 51-60cm --- not sure about it
Zebra bullhead shark 71-90cm 1
Blue spotted stingray 26-30cm 1
Banded houndshark 21-30cm 1
Slender grouper 12-15cm --- probably will remove this from the list
Trumpet fish 25-30cm --- any idea if this will work with the group?
Snowflake moray 60-70cm 1
Leopard shark 130cm 1

Reactions: Bluebarry

invaginacija

Feeder Fish
Nov 9, 2011
Lithuania
I would removed Heniochus acuminatus. They like to pick rays. Saw how they killed honeycomb whip tail ray in few hours. Of course there were 30-40 of them chasing her but anyway I would removed. My comments are bellow, but everything belongs on what you have, what bioload system can handle and how much open space you have at the bottom.
Acanthurus bariene - never had the problem
Acanthurus coeruleus - never had the problem
Acanthurus nigricans - never had the problem
Acanthurus sohal - never had the problem
Acanthurus triostegus - never had the problem
Zebrasoma veliferum - never had the problem
Siganus magnificus --- never had the problem
Centropyge acanthops - never had the problem
Centropyge potteri --- never had the problem
Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus - never had the problem
Pomacanthus sexstriatus - never had the problem
Holacanthus tricolor - never had the problem
Chaetodon auriga - never had the problem
Chaetodon meyeri - never had the problem
Chaetodon collare - never had the problem
Chelmon rostratus - never had the problem
Heniochus acuminatus - no.
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia - never had them.
Thalassoma hardwicke - never had the problem, but can be eaten by bottom dwelers
Thalassoma newtoni - never had the problem, but can be eaten by bottom dwelers
Chrysiptera cyanea 25 - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Chrysiptera springeri - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Chrysiptera talboti - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Dascyllus aruanus - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Neoglyphidodon oxyodon - never had them
Pomacentrus alleni - never had them
Xanthichthys ringens - had but not with sharks
Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides - can be ugly
Plectorhinchus vittatus - can be ugly
Lutjanus sebae - Can be problem to feed other fish.
Bullhead shark 51-60cm --- in touch pool didn't had problem with rays and some small fish, but once accidently took out the peace from eagle ray during the feeding.
Zebra bullhead shark 71-90cm - didn't had them
Blue spotted stingray 26-30cm - in touch pool with shark no problem, but need to be careful during feeding, see bullhead
Banded houndshark 21-30cm - didnt had them
Slender grouper 12-15cm --- prnever had them
Trumpet fish 25-30cm --- very great fish, but had in separate tank.
Snowflake moray 60-70cm - not sure, can easily escape.
Leopard shark 130cm - never had them.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
I would removed Heniochus acuminatus. They like to pick rays. Saw how they killed honeycomb whip tail ray in few hours. Of course there were 30-40 of them chasing her but anyway I would removed. My comments are bellow, but everything belongs on what you have, what bioload system can handle and how much open space you have at the bottom.
Acanthurus bariene - never had the problem
Acanthurus coeruleus - never had the problem
Acanthurus nigricans - never had the problem
Acanthurus sohal - never had the problem
Acanthurus triostegus - never had the problem
Zebrasoma veliferum - never had the problem
Siganus magnificus --- never had the problem
Centropyge acanthops - never had the problem
Centropyge potteri --- never had the problem
Apolemichthys xanthopunctatus - never had the problem
Pomacanthus sexstriatus - never had the problem
Holacanthus tricolor - never had the problem
Chaetodon auriga - never had the problem
Chaetodon meyeri - never had the problem
Chaetodon collare - never had the problem
Chelmon rostratus - never had the problem
Heniochus acuminatus - no.
Pseudocheilinus hexataenia - never had them.
Thalassoma hardwicke - never had the problem, but can be eaten by bottom dwelers
Thalassoma newtoni - never had the problem, but can be eaten by bottom dwelers
Chrysiptera cyanea 25 - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Chrysiptera springeri - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Chrysiptera talboti - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Dascyllus aruanus - Possible, but they need to go into the tank first and have place to hide.
Neoglyphidodon oxyodon - never had them
Pomacentrus alleni - never had them
Xanthichthys ringens - had but not with sharks
Plectorhinchus chaetodonoides - can be ugly
Plectorhinchus vittatus - can be ugly
Lutjanus sebae - Can be problem to feed other fish.
Bullhead shark 51-60cm --- in touch pool didn't had problem with rays and some small fish, but once accidently took out the peace from eagle ray during the feeding.
Zebra bullhead shark 71-90cm - didn't had them
Blue spotted stingray 26-30cm - in touch pool with shark no problem, but need to be careful during feeding, see bullhead
Banded houndshark 21-30cm - didnt had them
Slender grouper 12-15cm --- prnever had them
Trumpet fish 25-30cm --- very great fish, but had in separate tank.
Snowflake moray 60-70cm - not sure, can easily escape.
Leopard shark 130cm - never had them.
Thanks so much for the feedback... The tank is already active, meaning there is fish inside, thus it won't be possible to put the chromis first in the tank. Also, the Triakis Semifasciata should immediately go in the tank because no aquarist close-by has any means to keep in quarantine...
Didn't really understand why you said "can be ugly" about the sweetlips. Maybe you can elaborate more...
The problem having a ray in the tank is not because it can be bitten by a shark, it is the small fish picking on it.. I will observe this and if I see any danger, i will remove either one.

invaginacija

Feeder Fish
Nov 9, 2011
Lithuania
Thanks so much for the feedback... The tank is already active, meaning there is fish inside, thus it won't be possible to put the chromis first in the tank. Also, the Triakis Semifasciata should immediately go in the tank because no aquarist close-by has any means to keep in quarantine...
Didn't really understand why you said "can be ugly" about the sweetlips. Maybe you can elaborate more...
The problem having a ray in the tank is not because it can be bitten by a shark, it is the small fish picking on it.. I will observe this and if I see any danger, i will remove either one.
Ugly - I mean nasty character, especially when you have adult. In one tank there were 5 of them and they often were attacking fingers during feeding or cleaning. Juveniles were more relaxed.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
sharks&rays are in! Triakis Semifasciata is breathtaking! Keeping the other fish in quarantine for a few days.... will post more once it is complete.

Reactions: NathanKS

Landonious

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Man its crazy how, no offense, this guy do not like to post pics or videos. No shot of the finished tank and fish from various angles, no videos at all, nothing. I don't get it bro, share with the world. I'm in the process of building my 7500 south american monster fish tank and when i make a thread, I'll show lots of pics and video. Whats holding you back man?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store