7500 GALLON SHARK TANK FOR MY NEW HOME

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Hey guys, the fish are coming in...
Just a quick question to anyone who has experience in the following species:
I'm thinking about introducing a golden puffer (show size) in but the merchant said that it might scratch the acrylic! Does anyone have a view on this??
Anything could theoretically scratch the acrylic. SW puffers seem to be very likely candidates to do it and I've not heard many success stories of keeping an acrylic tank that houses a puffer unscratched. I wouldn't risk it myself.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Hey guys, the fish are coming in...
Just a quick question to anyone who has experience in the following species:
I'm thinking about introducing a golden puffer (show size) in but the merchant said that it might scratch the acrylic! Does anyone have a view on this??
Both Puffers and Triggers can scratch up an acrylic tank.. I had a 25 inch Mbu that did a number on my bowfront.. he was extra friendly and always wanted attention whenever someone was near the tank. He would put his 'beak' right on the acrylic panel and run it up and down the front to 'greet' his guests.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg O Oompa Loompa Thanks for the feedback!
I decided against it. However, i put in a Valentini Puffer (juvenile)...
I'm looking into various species of rays now.. I had already mentioned that I'm still awaiting shipment for the Uarnak but a few more other species of rays will make the tank better...
any advice?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg O Oompa Loompa Thanks for the feedback!
I decided against it. However, i put in a Valentini Puffer (juvenile)...
I'm looking into various species of rays now.. I had already mentioned that I'm still awaiting shipment for the Uarnak but a few more other species of rays will make the tank better...
any advice?
I love uarnaks! Very rarely do you see someone who keeps them. You could go with yellow stingrays. I'll PM you a list of ray species commonly kept (I have one for my book lying around somewhere)

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
After a few days I put in the Karnak, the triggers injured it, broke its tail and damaged its skin so I had to take it out before it was too late...
Having some compatibility issues with some species...

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
After a few days I put in the Karnak, the triggers injured it, broke its tail and damaged its skin so I had to take it out before it was too late...
Having some compatibility issues with some species...
Well triggers and rays are almost always a bad combination. Anything with teeth like that (puffers, triggers, etc) are risky, as are tangs, butterflies, etc. Lionfish can be sat on and can sting stuff, risky IMO. Tangs are generally safe actually.

kerimo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2013
Istanbul
Hey guys, will post some photos soon.
I've added a Juvenile Stegostoma and it looks stunning!!
Also added a Dragon eel about 3 months ago and it got so big!
Having some trouble with non-aggressive species such as tangs, butterflies as BTRs don't really tolerate them and attack once in a while...
Also, having too much problem with the addition of chromis and other fillers as the Panther grouper, miniata grouper and the eel get to them! Only wrasses are fine as they're very flexible and impossible for them to catch.
Would love some pro input here...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store