75g Looking to start African Tank

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I have 3 Synodontis, other than that I’ve maybe bought 2-4 of the Petco/PetSmart Cichlids over my life, never had an African tank.

Looking to do an African tank,

Stocking? PetSmart Africans? Is there a centerpiece African cichlid?

Was going to get a bunch of those Fluval rock caves...

Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have 3 Synodontis, other than that I’ve maybe bought 2-4 of the Petco/PetSmart Cichlids over my life, never had an African tank.

Looking to do an African tank,

Stocking? PetSmart Africans? Is there a centerpiece African cichlid?

Was going to get a bunch of those Fluval rock caves...

Thanks!
The Petsmart's in my area always have only small mixed unsexed African Cichlid. I suggest you find a lfs that has juvenile and matured colored up males on display. Maybe can do 4-5 male African Peacock. Please avoid any females this will cause problems.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Don't waste your money on the prefabricated plastic cichlid caves. They are expensive and unnatural looking. Review online African Cichlid hardscapes. There are so many examples regarding 75 gal. African tanks.
Shop local rockyards & landscape companies for decor. You'll save a bundle. Make your own caves.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Skip the chain pet stores, order online for quality and variety. Look for a vendor that uses scientific names so you can get the fish you want. Are you thinking Lake Malawi or Tanganyika? Do you have a favorite species you want to stock around? There can be a centerpiece species, but not usually a single centerpiece fish.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Skip the chain pet stores, order online for quality and variety. Look for a vendor that uses scientific names so you can get the fish you want. Are you thinking Lake Malawi or Tanganyika? Do you have a favorite species you want to stock around? There can be a centerpiece species, but not usually a single centerpiece fish.
Excellent advice.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
There are tons of different directions you can go with africans, there are lots of different styles of setup to choose from. The basic categories that you could keep in a 75 would be-
Mbuna
Tanganyikan
Peacocks (Malawi)
Tropheus (Tang)
Most of us like to choose a direction and stick with it; i.e. if you go mbuna, do just mbuna, and not a bunch of random tangs thrown in. With that said it is possible to mix them though there can be some difficulties.
I would go on youtube and search up a bunch of tanks with these different types of fish, see which looks the most interesting to you, and go for it! On sourcing the fish, petsmart/petco will have mbuna (the "mixed africans" and peacocks. For the tanganyikan cichlids you would have to either order them, or go to a proper lfs.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Helpful info! Been scouting the LFS....

How important is PH?

I think my tap is 7.0 or there abouts....

No females due to fighting or excess babies?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Helpful info! Been scouting the LFS....

How important is PH?

I think my tap is 7.0 or there abouts....

No females due to fighting or excess babies?
Depending on the species of African species the 7.0 should be ok but Malawian African Cichlid comes from over 7 as you probably already know. They actually sell substrate such as crushed coral that will actually help raise ph. Yes adding females will cause fighting because males will compete for breeding rights.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Females only causing fighting if there are not enough females for each species. An all-male tank is more challenging than a mixed gender tank IME. What about something like 4 species of Lake Malawi mbuna with 1m:4f of each? Almost every fish is colorful.
1m:4f yellow labs
1m:4f acei
1m:4f rusties
1m:4f Cynotilapia zebroides

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store