770 Gallon Monster Setup

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Thanks for all the kind words. Stock is still up in the air. I'm looking for something that can tolerate a pretty large temp range (60 - 80F), doesn't grow bigger than 2' and does not require live food (market shrimp ok, but preferrably dry foods). Open to suggestions. Natives are definitely in play and sorry for not catching the original native suggestion...you were #1!

I have an 11+ bambusa that I have been thinking about selling that would be perfect for tank! I believe he would meet your temp requirements. Would look awsome in your tank.

BTW, I live in the Bay as well.
Have any pix? He might meet my temp requirements, but not sure if he meets my size limitations. If he's the same fish that's in these pix, he will outgrow my tank...I'd have to convert my pool into a pond...I through that out there and some of my friends looked at me like I had really lost my mind (they obviously aren't into the fish game). lol http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?236888-China-native-Dorado

Capsaicin

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Minnesota
I hope you soaked the driftwood in something else before placing it in the tank...the amount of chlorine in hot tubs/pools is beyond poisonous to fish.

That tank is definitely making a lot of people jealous here. Super nice quality and HUGE! You should take some pics of the room where this tank resides.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That is a beautiful tank and filter! I would love to have a fish room like that instead on the dark garage I have. That skylight above the tank is a plus but may cause algae growth. I see a possible need for UV.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Should be easy to find. I got mine at Lowes.
Weird...the Lowes near me doesn't carry them.

I hope you soaked the driftwood in something else before placing it in the tank...the amount of chlorine in hot tubs/pools is beyond poisonous to fish.

That tank is definitely making a lot of people jealous here. Super nice quality and HUGE! You should take some pics of the room where this tank resides.
I appreciate the concern but the fish aren't going in the pool or the hot tub. Chlorine levels were very low while I soaked the wood...so low that there was angel hair algae covering every square inch of it. Not too worried about any chlorine absorbed by the driftwood...prime will take care of that, but I'll test for chlorine just for $hits and giggles. Not trying to make anyone jealous....there are setups way nicer than mine that actually have cool fish in them and I love to see pix- that's the only reason I'm sharing. If no one shared their setups on this site, it would be pretty boring. In regards to the fish room the tank basically takes up the whole room and it's not much to look at...basically just an 18x10 detached structure.

That is a beautiful tank and filter! I would love to have a fish room like that instead on the dark garage I have. That skylight above the tank is a plus but may cause algae growth. I see a possible need for UV.
Thanks! Yeah, I actually like that it's detached from my house; in the event of a flood, it's not the end of the world. Just wish it had natural gas heating and a water line (but I will run that out there in due time). I'm hoping to not have to get a UV, but I think you are right. I might get some sort of UV blocking shade to cover the skylights if it becomes an issue before I go out and drop more money on more equipment though. I guess it doesn't matter that I can't keep tropical fish...all I can afford at this point is feeders- haha. I actually overhead this lady at All About Fish in Concord talking to one of the employees...she was saying that she was trying to get rid of most of her Koi and goldfish in her pond because they have been breeding like crazy. I jumped in and introduced myself and she was all about giving me as many as I wanted. I think I might pick up a half dozen goldfish this weekend depending on what my water parameters look like...and of course they would have to be healthy otherwise I'll pass.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That's funny because I got rid of 400 kois for someone this past weeekend. Ranging from 4" to 12". They were from an unwanted spawn. You need to get Indian Mahseers. They are cold water and inexpensive when you buy them small. There are many different Indian sp. you can get....mussullah, morsal, neo hex., neo stra., putitora, khudree. Spinabarbus are cool too.

idle0095

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Manchester, NH
that is a tank im looking for. Man what a score. What did u pay?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
That's funny because I got rid of 400 kois for someone this past weeekend. Ranging from 4" to 12". They were from an unwanted spawn. You need to get Indian Mahseers. They are cold water and inexpensive when you buy them small. There are many different Indian sp. you can get....mussullah, morsal, neo hex., neo stra., putitora, khudree. Spinabarbus are cool too.
How about a Goonch :)

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
WOW Another Monster fish(TANK) Keeper in da bay , great, that tank must have cost a fortune but i think a tank with a lot of fancy goldfish would look decentish

Venom SS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
Make it a reef. Would be epic, but you wouldnt be able to stay in the same room with the tank for very long, the lighting required would give you a sunburn LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store