794 gallon ply tank build

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Finally I have decided to get my rear end into gear and get a start on this monster.A few pics to start with and then it will be updates as I progress with this build. It wont happen overnight but it will be slow and steady.

The dimensions of this build are 2636 x 1140 x 1000mm for those of us that know the metric system is the way to go. A total of 3005 liters.
For those yet to realize the pure genius of the metric system:D, that equates roughly to 104"x 45"x 39" A total of 794 gallons.
I should state these are internal dimensions.

This tank will be fiberglassed inside and out to ensure it lasts for a very long time and to eliminate the need for external framework. Fiberglass will be 2 layers of 600chopped strand matting using polyester resin. This will be coated with West Systems epoxy so it is fish friendly.
Onto the progress pics.

The first pic is just the ply ready to go. Overall dimensions of the sheets are 2700 x 1200 x 32mm or 106.2" x 47.24" x1.26" Structural ply.
01.jpg

Pic of how thick these sheets are. I wanted to go thick for two reasons. First to eliminate external bracing and secondly to help with insulation. This tank will be outside. Under cover but outside none the less.
02.jpg

Next pics are just me taking a couple of rips off three of the sheets. The fourth will stay as its original size and become the bottom.
I took two 98mm( roughly 4") rips of each which left me with a 1000mm/ 45" height to use for all sides. The rips will be used later for internal bracing.
As you can see, I use another sheet for a straight edge to perform my cuts. You can see the nail to hold it in place. Leave the nail proud so it can be easily removed once you have finished your cut.
03.jpg
04.jpg

You can see some of the rips in the foreground to be used as bracing.
05.jpg

Here I am cutting out the front sheet. I used a hole saw in all the corners and the cut the rest out with the circular saw. All edges will still have to be rounded off to make it easier to apply the fiberglass.
06.jpg
07.jpg

The sides are only pinned together here but this gives some idea of the size. That's my son in the pic by the way. He is really getting into this build.:)
08.jpg

Putting the lad to work. He is on school holidays at present so I may as well make the most of it.:grinno:
09.jpg

Getting another sheet screwed off. It is upside down here but I am sure that was obvious. All the screws are counter sunk. Screws are roofing screws as I have hundreds of these laying around already. With this thickness ply they really get a good bite. I hope my mug didn't cause to much trauma:D
10.jpg

Just a shot showing the screw alignment. Notice that the screws in the face are stepped to those on top. The row of screws in the middle are through the ply edges. The row on the face and the very back row are going into the internal brace. There is an extra brace still to go in yet.
11.jpg

This pic shows some of the internal corner braces. These are the rips I cut earlier. There will be a corner brace in every corner so I can screw of all the sheets both through the ends and sides.
Bracing will be doubled up around the window area leaving a 50mm/2" gap for sealing in the glass.:)
12.jpg

This is the last pic for now and where I am at. I will finish screwing off what I can while it is upside down. Then I will flip it with over (with some help) and start on the top and side corner bracing. I will also finish the double up of the bracing around the window area.:)
13.jpg

Monolicious

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
ON MFK
Nice build so far, What are you planing on stocking it with ?
Whats your filtration going to be ?

HarlanAshmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne Ausralia
thats fully awesome

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Monolicious;3252203; said:
Nice build so far, What are you planing on stocking it with ?
Whats your filtration going to be ?
Stock will be based similar to this vid minus the dovii. This is what I call a com tank. Will see what works when we get there but I am a sa/ca man through and through..Filtration at this point in time will be an 120g sump. Still yet to work out pumps etc. .:)
[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieklBWBRTA8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieklBWBRTA8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Eric A;3252228; said:
Can't wait to see an RTC then :p

Nice build mate!
Thx.I should have said minus the RTC as well. Not my thing.

Bassinkorea;3252231; said:
Looking awesome so far!!

What thickness glass (or plexi) are you planning??
Thanks. I was hoping to get away with 1/2" glass as it will be about 32"s from the top of the water to the bottom of the glass panel (where it over laps the ply.). I've had a quote for this already. It will set me back about $180au + delivery so I was happy with that.

Bassinkorea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
South Korea
greenterra;3252245; said:
Thanks. I was hoping to get away with 1/2" glass as it will be about 32"s from the top of the water to the bottom of the glass panel (where it over laps the ply.). I've had a quote for this already. It will set me back about $180au + delivery so I was happy with that.
Great. My build will also have 1/2" toughened glass and is just under 30" high. I hope it works OK with your 32" height. I'll be watching this build closely, good luck ;)

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
greenterra;3252245; said:
Thx.I should have said minus the RTC as well. Not my thing.

Yeah haha, if you did, there wouldn't be many cichlids after a while...

You shouldn't use anything less than 19mm glass for 3' of depth.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Eric A;3252261; said:
Yeah haha, if you did, there wouldn't be many cichlids after a while...

You shouldn't use anything less than 19mm glass for 3' of depth.
32" is shorter than 3' but you do have a point according to this glass calculator.:)
Going by this I would need 16mm glass.
Untitled-TrueColor-01.jpg
Link to calculator site.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

This calculator seems to be a handy one and it comes up with 16mm as well so it looks like that's the go. Glass calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store