90 gallon stocking ideas

vRookq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2020
I was wondering If I could have an Oscar, a JD and 2 male convicts in the 90?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
You will get mixed responses from members but in short, no. Its not really big enough for 1 fully grown oscar.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
There are many choices of cichlid and your best option for numbers and or diversity is a South American set up. Cichlids that reach around the 6 inch mark. Blue acaras, geophagus red heads, angels, biotadoma cupido are just a few that would be suitable.
If you want to go down the c/a cichlid route, then again I would stay with those that don't get much larger than 6 inches. Thorichtjys like firemouths would work very well in a group of say 8. You could keep fish like sajicas or spilurums.
You could have a pair of jds on their own or a pair of Nicaraguan cichlids.
You could have a pair of Convicts but they can be very territorial while breeding so would greatly limit your choice of tank mates.
It all depends what kind of set up you want. A pair that you can watch breed, a community of fish or one bigger wet pet.
I can advise more of a pricise list if you can explain what type of set up appeals to you most.

vRookq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2020
There are many choices of cichlid and your best option for numbers and or diversity is a South American set up. Cichlids that reach around the 6 inch mark. Blue acaras, geophagus red heads, angels, biotadoma cupido are just a few that would be suitable.
If you want to go down the c/a cichlid route, then again I would stay with those that don't get much larger than 6 inches. Thorichtjys like firemouths would work very well in a group of say 8. You could keep fish like sajicas or spilurums.
You could have a pair of jds on their own or a pair of Nicaraguan cichlids.
You could have a pair of Convicts but they can be very territorial while breeding so would greatly limit your choice of tank mates.
It all depends what kind of set up you want. A pair that you can watch breed, a community of fish or one bigger wet pet.
I can advise more of a pricise list if you can explain what type of set up appeals to you most.
In your opinion what would be your best set up for a high school student that wants a South American theme in my 90g?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
We all have different tastes but for me it would be something like a harem of blue acara,a shoal of 15 black widow tetras an ancistrus catfish or one of the other smaller growing plecos and six brochis splendens.
All the fish are fairly Hardy, not overly aggressive and provide a little variety and interest.

vRookq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2020
We all have different tastes but for me it would be something like a harem of blue acara,a shoal of 15 black widow tetras an ancistrus catfish or one of the other smaller growing plecos and six brochis splendens.
All the fish are fairly Hardy, not overly aggressive and provide a little variety and interest.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
We should start with what your basic water peramaters are. If you live in the USA and are on city water you can look up your base peramaters online its required by law for water company's to do so. What we need is a base PH and if hard or soft water.

With that information we can then choose fish that will thrive in your water.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The reason of have listed the species I have is because they are compatible and thrive in most stable water parameters.
However if looking at other species, as jexnell quite rightly pointed out, your water conditions can rule out some fish and rule in others.
The fish I suggested for the most part are very adaptable.

vRookq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2020
I found that 14 to 18 grains per US gallon or 240 to 310 milligrams per litre, for my city water. Does this help? value is 310 mg/L

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store