90g American Cichlid setup

SLB1976

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
Hi, new to the forum. I’ve been keeping African cichlids for over 15 years. I’ve made the decision to switch to South American cichlids. I’m so far thinking of 1 Red Oscar, 1 Green Terror and a couple of Acaras. Ive done some research, I know how big theses guys get and temperament. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also do 50% water changes weekly.

Setup:
90g, Ehheim Pro3 Ultra G160 and Fluval FX6 filters, Hydor Koralia 3G Powerhead, Hydor ETH300 inline heater, led lighting, pool filter sand and various river rocks.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Hi, new to the forum. I’ve been keeping African cichlids for over 15 years. I’ve made the decision to switch to South American cichlids. I’m so far thinking of 1 Red Oscar, 1 Green Terror and a couple of Acaras. Ive done some research, I know how big theses guys get and temperament. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I also do 50% water changes weekly.

Setup:
90g, Ehheim Pro3 Ultra G160 and Fluval FX6 filters, Hydor Koralia 3G Powerhead, Hydor ETH300 inline heater, led lighting, pool filter sand and various river rocks.
Welcome!
You will probably have to double up on wc once they get some size on them. But test and see.

Reactions: SLB1976

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
That setup will be mighty shortb on room as the fish grow. Depending on what kind of acara may end up with one pairing up with the gt.

Reactions: SLB1976

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW

Setup:
For a 90g I would suggest either a solo Oscar, Solo GT, or a community Acura tank. While it would work out when small. Start adding size and adulthood to the mix and all bets are off.

SLB1976

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019

Setup:
Forgot to mention, they would be all males, and would be all added together as juveniles.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I agree with the others but instead of Jexnell's suggestion for an Acura (bigger than the tank), Acaras would be nice. Sorry I just couldn't resist, don't you just hate spell check! :ROFL:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Beside the territorial issues with fish that get as large as you suggest, as they grow water quality will become problematic in that size tank, and to keep water quality up as adults, you will need to do almost daily water changes (oscars being the major polluter).
I consider a 90 too small for 1 oscar, with no other fish.
The acaras would work, maybe even the GT, but they are very close cousins so territorial issues may arise even if they are all males..
I have a 180 gal with Andinoacara coerleopunctatus (Panamanian Acaras (or G.T.s depending on how you look at it)), my alpha male took exception to, and killed 2 other similar size males when they were put in together.
But now he is calm with about a dozen females, smattered with some indistinguishable subordinate males.
fullsizeoutput_da2.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store