90g American Cichlid setup

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I think it'd be a good tank for a single larger cichlid like the gt or oscar or a group of smaller cichlids like the blue acaras. Not worth trying to jam them all into there together imo.

The acaras or gt would allow more options for other tankmates, schoolers or bottom feeders perhaps.

Reactions: tlindsey

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Just my opinion, but a 90 is too small for a full grown Oscar. Assuming it's a standard 90 and has the same footprint as a 75.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
How is a 90g too small when minimum tank size for a single Oscar is 75g??
No universal "minimum tank size" for any fish. Here you will find a lot of different estimates from experienced keepers who have a good idea of what is adequate for the fish. Most keepers here who have kept oscars will agree that 75 gallons is the absolute minimum for an oscar. Thing is, most of the keepers here strive for more than the minimum. After all this is MFK.

Having kept oscars before, I believe that a 90 gallon will be adequate for a solo oscar but will require attentive maintenance once the fish puts on some size.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Its "funny" how this thread always seems to develop. It just keeps coming back over and over.
You will get one of two answers on this yes or no. And alot of reasons why. I personally believe that a 90 is to small in width for a full grown Oscar to be happy for life, but like I said and others have also with proper water changes and filtration you could do it. You can do alot of stuff but I wouldnt recommend some of it. You could live and survive in a 3×3×8 room but you wouldnt be happy. If we doubled the size youd be more happy. Until we became roommate's but may be happier then in the 3×3 still.
Can you keep sn Oscar a GT and some Acara? yes. Will you hate life with all the waterchanging? probably, will you have casualities? probably, will it be easier for your fish to get sick? possibly. I have also seen the oscar in a 55 and in a 75 and in a 90 they seemed fine......
I have also seen a solo oscar in a 120 and a 180 those were the best looking Os ive seen ever. A true wet pet happy to see people no hth no scars no tattered fins.
So the point is can it be done? Yes. Should it.......?

SLB1976

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
Its "funny" how this thread always seems to develop. It just keeps coming back over and over.
You will get one of two answers on this yes or no. And alot of reasons why. I personally believe that a 90 is to small in width for a full grown Oscar to be happy for life, but like I said and others have also with proper water changes and filtration you could do it. You can do alot of stuff but I wouldnt recommend some of it. You could live and survive in a 3×3×8 room but you wouldnt be happy. If we doubled the size youd be more happy. Until we became roommate's but may be happier then in the 3×3 still.
Can you keep sn Oscar a GT and some Acara? yes. Will you hate life with all the waterchanging? probably, will you have casualities? probably, will it be easier for your fish to get sick? possibly. I have also seen the oscar in a 55 and in a 75 and in a 90 they seemed fine......
I have also seen a solo oscar in a 120 and a 180 those were the best looking Os ive seen ever. A true wet pet happy to see people no hth no scars no tattered fins.
So the point is can it be done? Yes. Should it.......?
Filtration won’t be an issue for a single Oscar in my 90g (48x18x24h) as I run eheim ultra g160 and FX6, combined they are rated for a 560g tank. And I always do a 50% water change which includes a sand bed vac. Sometimes during the middle of the week I’ll just do a quick 25% water change.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It seems many people don't believe a fish needs any exercise to be healthy.
And in truth a 120 gal long tank, seems only 30 gallons more (not much) than a 90.
But if a fish can only swim two or three of its body lengths the long way, and barely more a body length the breadth of the tank, not much in the way of exercise.
Whereas a 120 or similar length tank provides almost double that swimming space the length of the tank, quite an improvement (at least in length).
We wouldn't keep a Great Dane or Akita cooped up in a small bathroom 24/7,
the similar equivalent of a 15" fish in a 4ft tank.
Filtration has nothing to do with nitrate buildup, only water changes can dilute that, so to me a 50% water change once or twice per week is rather a rather wimpy regime for a heavy waste producer like an oscar.
I think once it becomes an adult ,50% water changes every other day would be needed in that small a tank, no matter how adequately the filter works, or the common malady HLLE, that oscars get when too confined, will be the result.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store