A. cf. citrinellus - A potential case of F1 Midevils?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well hopefully that settles that. lol

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks guys, MM sent me some good reading material on the subject. So we'll let this one go.....maybe the guys from Monsterquest can go look for it.

Anubisscott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2009
Enid, OK
www.facebook.com
Awsome Job RD, a very intresting take on the Amphilophus complex. I am still reading articles, but you do have a very valid point. ANother Amphilophus species not mentioned in this thread however is A. Zaliousus. Yet another example of the diversity of the Amphilophus strains. I owned a huge male and let me tell you their behavior is very different. Aggressive and prefer open water. This guy did not like hanging out in a pot like Lab's and Cit's I had in the past. Definently deserving of the title "Arrow cichlid" with their build and speed. They are also reside in Lack Nicaragua. Yet another possibility for your discussion.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A. zaliosus exists at only one location, Lake Apoyo, and is discussed in the first link provided on page 1. :)

Anubisscott

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2009
Enid, OK
www.facebook.com
A. zaliosus exists at only one location, Lake Apoyo, and is discussed in the first link provided on page 1. :)
Yep, you got me RD. Unfortunantly I was typing and distracted by kids. Mid corrected myself on that post, but still put Nicaragua instead of Apoyo. I need to start waiting until they are all in bed before starting to post. lol. That sentence just reeks getting after the kids.

They are also reside in Lack Nicaragua.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Another interesting paper on this same topic.

Rapid sympatric ecological differentiation of crater lake cichlid fishes within historic times Elmer KR, Lehtonen TK, Kautt AF, Harrod C, Meyer A (2010)

Two Midas cichlid morphs within Lake Apoyeque, one with normal thin lips, the other with hypertrophied fleshy lips.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1741-7007-8-60.pdf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store