A couple drip system questions.

blacksmith37

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2006
Huntsville TX USA
I tried this with a salt tank (the siphon over flow); and eventually you do lose the siphon , even with a high flow. I drilled a vent to the top of the siphon and attached tubing from it to the suction ( venturi on the outlet) on a power head. It did pull out the air and keep the suction going for over a month at a time. But; eventually a bit of debris would block the vent and then it would slowly lose the siphon.
It could be that the amount of debris in fresh water debris is less and the vent won't get blocked. I have given up salt ,but this system won't be running again for a few months. I let the AC drain drip into the tank.

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
blacksmith37;622927; said:
I let the AC drain drip into the tank.
REALY? The air conditioner water?

On my way to work today I think that, rather than doing the overflow, I would rather drill the tank on the top back, attach a bulkhead and use a PVC elbow pointed up at an angle to use as my drain.

wizzin Thanks for the links. That filter cartridge looks promising.

As for the ammonia, I dont plan on putting any fish in until the tank is fully cycled. Im a very patient guy. Ill wait 3+ months to make sure its all running good.

Repair, a lot of the cartridges, other than the one wizzin linked to, say they take out chlorine smell. Does that mean it actually reduces the amount of chlorine?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
are you using a sump?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Just drill the sump, or use a sump pump type setup to remove the excess.

Steve might be able to elaborate more on the sump pump idea. I don't have mine finished but I believe that he does.

If you're using a sump you'll notice the difference in water levels there, not in the tank.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
mjime714;622966; said:
REALY? The air conditioner water?

On my way to work today I think that, rather than doing the overflow, I would rather drill the tank on the top back, attach a bulkhead and use a PVC elbow pointed up at an angle to use as my drain.

wizzin Thanks for the links. That filter cartridge looks promising.

As for the ammonia, I dont plan on putting any fish in until the tank is fully cycled. Im a very patient guy. Ill wait 3+ months to make sure its all running good.

Repair, a lot of the cartridges, other than the one wizzin linked to, say they take out chlorine smell. Does that mean it actually reduces the amount of chlorine?
They remove chlorine. The ones that remove chloromine actually break down the chlorine, leaving the ammonia (chloromine is just ammonia and chlorine bound together). That's why they suggest using another post filter to remove the ammonia. I think that was actually the "smell" in the original products. It did remove the chlorine, but left a strong ammonia smell. Find out what your water source uses.

mjime714

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2005
Los Angeles
rallysman;622972; said:
Just drill the sump, or use a sump pump type setup to remove the excess.

Steve might be able to elaborate more on the sump pump idea. I don't have mine finished but I believe that he does.

If you're using a sump you'll notice the difference in water levels there, not in the tank.
If I drill the sump, it will be so low to the ground that it wont be able to gravity drain to the drain pipe that I plan to tap into.

I was thinking about the sump pump setup, and talk me out of it if it seems rediculous, but I am trying to do it without adding any more electical items than I really need.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
mjime714;622979; said:
If I drill the sump, it will be so low to the ground that it wont be able to gravity drain to the drain pipe that I plan to tap into.

I was thinking about the sump pump setup, and talk me out of it if it seems rediculous, but I am trying to do it without adding any more electical items than I really need.
With a sump the water in the tank cant rise, so an overflow would be worthless. The only place the water level will change is in the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store