A little anaconda info for you guys

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Now I do belelieve this is nessesary for all snakes, it is the way of life for this on. Anaconda spend over 90% of there lives in the water. The only reason to leave the water is to bask, search for females or move to new water hole in dry season.

Now, I was just looking up a site about yellow anacondas. They said that a large water bowl would not be used and its fine to have simply a drinking dish..... Now not for a second did I think that was right or humain.

Now for anyone looking to get an anaconda, green or yellow. They do require large amounts of water to sit and swim in. Yes, you need to empty the water and clean the bowl almost bi-daily because of the snake making a mess. If you don't like work, don't get this snake.

I use a 10gallon mortar tray for my snakes water bowl. He is just under 7 feet right now. A new, larger cage with larger bowl will be provided in the bear future.

Thank you for your time. Comments welcomed.

Berber King

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
Berkshire,UK
Totally agree.The only way greens should be kept is with a filtered,heated pond in my opinion.I know many dont,and the animals appear healthy,but its not right.

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
If the point of captivity is to as closely replicate the natural environment as possible, then that means keeping them with a very large water area. Those who don't aren't being responsible keepers.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
rudukai13;4135871; said:
If the point of captivity is to as closely replicate the natural environment as possible, then that means keeping them with a very large water area. Those who don't aren't being responsible keepers.
Actualy that is not completly true, conditions in captivity should replicate the good side of life in the wild wille protecting our protegés of the bad side of it, thats why captive conditions should be less extreme then wild conditions (you dont need to so to speak to stuck your anaconda in a mud pool full of dead fish with temps in the 45 celcius for the dry season:grinno:). Now back to condas, yes they do need large and complex aquaterrariums...and thouse actually make the keepers life easier.

Arapaimaman

In Loving Memory
Aug 27, 2005
Central Florida
I have caught a couple in the Amazon.Caught them at night.They were out of the water and on game trails waiting to ambush any animal that came by.Of course I had lots of help from my guides.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Okay, guys, enough attempting to provoke rude responses or we will deal with those accordingly.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
rudukai13;4135871; said:
I am going to have to disagree. You can say what you want about keeping animals but the truth is that it is for our enjoyment and nothing else. There is no requirement or obligation to replicate nature at all (look at snake racks). I say that there is a level of responsibility to keep the animal healthy (which requires some duplication of its native environment such as temp and humidity) but by in large, it could look as unnatural as a plastic hide box, paper towel substrate, and a metal or heavy plastic water bowl. That would satisfy the needs of the snake to keep it healthy for us to enjoy.

I think that if someone can house an anaconda but can not set up a huge aquatic part of the terrarium then its no big deal so long as the snake remains healthy. If they can create a better more naturalistic enclosure then that's great. Just keep in mind, you do not want it to get too complicated because it will make maintenance very difficult with such a dangerous snake.....

hellrazr1231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Florida
I have had green anacondas for over 13 years. Biggest edging over 15ft. They do not spend 90 percent of their time in water. More like 60 percent. They will even devlope water blisters if kept in extreme moist or wet conditions. Many post on anacondas forums where people have issues even when using major filtration systems. Road to a happy anaconda is a large water source
to submerge its self and tons of leaf litter to burrow into. All about security.

Reactions: Nickkk395

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Well there are some things I do disagree apon. Firstly the whole blister thing with aquatic snakes. THis is only true if you are lazy and don't clean the snakes water. I have never had a single skin problem with my snake. I change his water when needed. I don't think running a filter wil do any good because of the massive amount of waste these things make.

My green anaconda only comes out of water right after sheds. I don't know why.

snakeguy101;4137875; said:
I am going to have to disagree. You can say what you want about keeping animals but the truth is that it is for our enjoyment and nothing else. .
So who cares about the animal? Aslong as we are happy it doesn't matter how they are kept? That sounds like greed to me.

I disagree with keeping snakes and or other reptiles in rack systems. If the owner trully loves there animal they will keep them in large display enclosures. Thats what this is all about. Keeping reptiles as pets, not as "projects" or income". They are living things and need to be treated that way. Yes I know most people do not let there anacondas or even large/small snakes soak at all. I do find this cruel. I also see alot of the same owners with over weight snakes. This shows somethings.

Another thing that I can't stand reading about is "the more stuff you have in the cage, the more you need to clean" as is that's a threat to keep cages as bare as possible. That's again, pure lazyness. You have an animal, give it some branches to excersize on and some plants to hide in. Atleast make it's life better then in the wild, not plain and bare.

Thing's I always do:

Allow my snakes access to a water area large enough for total soaking in for of a large water bowl.

Have a substrate where they can burrow under if they feel like too.

Have heat and humidity at spec(this is like the only thing some people know how to do)

Have branches or other obstacles in the enclosure for some type of stimulation. I know my anacondas cage looks bare now but his new cage will have several logs.

That is my opinion on things. Now I can't see anyone telling me I'm wrong about anything, just that my "rules/ways" are more strict then others, but is that a bad thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store