A little anaconda info for you guys

kenC56

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
Las Vegas
hellrazr1231;4140291; said:
The water blister thing is not just related to nasty water. Humidty boxes will create them also. If the snake does not dry off then it happens. I agree that anacondas need a large bowl to submerge themselves. Anyone who says they don't has no clue on anacondas. You will be refilling dumped bowls all day because the snake will try to crame itself in the bowl. Will seach for water, just like any animal seaches for its security place. Your anaconda probably stays in the water alot because you use cypress mulch as substrate (appears to be in picture). It has jagged edges and seem to annoy my snakes. I would switch to some peatmoss mixed with topsoil then cover it with 3in or more of leaves. Snake will love it. Your humidty makes also be a little which will cause anacondas to always stay in the water. Mine where in the water alot regardless 60-70% but not always. Mine would explore the whole cage at night. For others who say anacondas dont need the large bowls. 90% of the time the anaconda will prefer to eat from the water. Mine would head for the bowls when they smelled food. Someone asked why keep an anaconda.
Why keep anything? A fishtank full of crazy exoticfish has a wow factor just like a snake. That is always a lame attack I see people do.
Reasons-it is a challenging snake to house successfully. Large amounts of water, physical size, picky eaters, etc. Accomplishing keeping a happy anaconda makes you feel good just like any hobby. They are by far the most docile of the giant snakes (greens that is, yellows can be nasty mean). I have only experinced one green anaconda that hated people. Most are pretty placid. It is not blood thirsty and out to kill. I would have trusted my largest anaconda way more then any pitbull/guard dog or any neighbors for the fact. At least it will act like a snake and not just snake and bite me in the face or shot me. I lost all of my pictures of my snake 12ft plus do to a computer crash but have some on a cd somewhere of 5-10ft. May dig them up.
Z-trip- not sure if you play around on reptile froums but always keep an eye out for ben rencik and kelly hauler. Guys are freaking awesome and breed yellow and green anacondas reguarly. Ben Renick has his own site but him and kelly both can be found on kingsnake.com forums.
Nice snake btw

You say people that do not think anacondas need large water bowls have no clue. I know that Kelly Haller keeps his anacondas on newspaper and a small water bowsl. So I guess, some people who have a clue keep them with small water dishes? I guess if you can keep the snake healthy and that is what your into go for it. There are arguements to keeping natural enclosures and simple enclosures. Personally, I do not have the intrest in owning such a massive snakes.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
y have a massive snake when u can have a crocadillian? :D

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
kenC56;4140563; said:
B/c a anconda eats them. :naughty:
some but not all ;)
Gustav ;)
Dang croc eats hippos. Im sure he can handle an anaconda :headbang2

EricIvins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Florida
hellrazr1231;4140291; said:
The water blister thing is not just related to nasty water. Humidty boxes will create them also. If the snake does not dry off then it happens. I agree that anacondas need a large bowl to submerge themselves. Anyone who says they don't has no clue on anacondas. You will be refilling dumped bowls all day because the snake will try to crame itself in the bowl. Will seach for water, just like any animal seaches for its security place. Your anaconda probably stays in the water alot because you use cypress mulch as substrate (appears to be in picture). It has jagged edges and seem to annoy my snakes. I would switch to some peatmoss mixed with topsoil then cover it with 3in or more of leaves. Snake will love it. Your humidty makes also be a little which will cause anacondas to always stay in the water. Mine where in the water alot regardless 60-70% but not always. Mine would explore the whole cage at night. For others who say anacondas dont need the large bowls. 90% of the time the anaconda will prefer to eat from the water. Mine would head for the bowls when they smelled food. Someone asked why keep an anaconda.
Why keep anything? A fishtank full of crazy exoticfish has a wow factor just like a snake. That is always a lame attack I see people do.
Reasons-it is a challenging snake to house successfully. Large amounts of water, physical size, picky eaters, etc. Accomplishing keeping a happy anaconda makes you feel good just like any hobby. They are by far the most docile of the giant snakes (greens that is, yellows can be nasty mean). I have only experinced one green anaconda that hated people. Most are pretty placid. It is not blood thirsty and out to kill. I would have trusted my largest anaconda way more then any pitbull/guard dog or any neighbors for the fact. At least it will act like a snake and not just snake and bite me in the face or shot me. I lost all of my pictures of my snake 12ft plus do to a computer crash but have some on a cd somewhere of 5-10ft. May dig them up.
Z-trip- not sure if you play around on reptile froums but always keep an eye out for ben rencik and kelly hauler. Guys are freaking awesome and breed yellow and green anacondas reguarly. Ben Renick has his own site but him and kelly both can be found on kingsnake.com forums.
Nice snake btw

Ummm.....Kelly Haller, and Jud McClanahan are the ones producing multi-generation Captive Bred animals without large amounts of water..........

hellrazr1231

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Florida
I know who kelly hauler is. I mentioned his name. Talk to him many, many times. He is not against anacondas having large bowls. I have seen pics of his smaller anacondas in large bowls (can submerge themselves). He has even suggest using large shallow bowls to people in the past when their younger anacondas would not eat. There comes a time though when up keep of a pair of green anacondas needs to be simplified. It is not very logical to have massive bowls if you can not drain them. Ben Renick is also producing f2 maybe f3 generations now. Can it be done yes, kelly is proof, does that mean it is necassary right, no. Can you put a pair of fish with the bare minium and get them to breed, yes-do you fish go about natural behaviors-probably not (nothing to do) Could a person live in a 8x8 house, take a shower once a year, eat only potateo chips, sure-lets see how happy you are. It is a hobby, when you take on the hobby that includes an animal (regardless what animal) you should try to replicate some of its natural habitat. Anyone ever stop and think why there are not huge anacondas in captivty? The water helps support alot of their body weight, allowing them to grow larger. You guys can fight it but I have had, sold, green anacondas for 13 years-maybe alittle longer. I have had hours upon hours of conversations with NERD (bought two cb over a decade ago from them), Ben Renick, and spent some time chatting with Kelly on the forums-trading pictures and info.
The is also a few guys not breeding anacondas yet but have way bigger then kellys. Lazyguy(forum name) has two over 16ft.

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
To be honest i feel that if somebody is going to go to trouble of housing such a large animal they could at least go to the effort of maing the cage nice and natural and offer some form of watersource it doesnt have to nessarily be large but offer them some room to soak and swim but like its also been said youve gotta be carful about blisters etc.... but its a great debate to read and ive been reading up on snakes a lot of late in books and things and its always said they need some sort of decent water source. but like its also been said they are being kept and bred without a massive watersource.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store