A New Cleaning Strategy

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Floss I toss. However since I started using bio clean in the floss it seems to last a long time.

I use the big long filter socks, and they are expensive, so it’s nice to be able to save them. I just don’t enjoy spraying fish poop around with the hose.

I think the key here is that I have different stages of filtration and I never clean them all at the same time.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well this turned out to be a bust. If enough stuff dried into the sock it got too hard. Even my 5hp vac couldn't do a good job.

I came up with a springy semi-collapsible wire device. It’s very difficult to take a photo of it that makes sense but basically grab it with your hand and squish it together and stuff it in the sock. Them let it expand and stick it up on a pole, and wash it with a hose.

Anyhow I have seven long 7” socks, and at any one time there are four in the system running, and three clean ones ready to go in. Usually I plug up at least three when I stir up the gravel and vacuum the aquarium.

Also I’m still using bio clean in all the filter socks or floss.

Reactions: RD.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Glad the Bio Clean is still working for you.
It’s working well in two of my systems, but I made the mistake of not using enough in the big system, and it took me a while to figure that out.

Right now the 240 systems is full of drugs because my oscar is suffering from a rash, probably related to hexamita or similar.

It’s pretty expensive to treat a big system but You Gotta do what you Gotta do.

After repeated dosings with Metroplex, Kanaplex, and erythromycin, he’s showing slow improvement. He is eating some pellets as normal and whatever guppies & mollies he can catch.

He doesn’t like the medicated food so I’ve been mixing food in metroplex, & feeding him with the bulb syringe. It’s kind of hit or miss because he’s very fast, but I have had some success.

Hexshield has been impossible to find here. I have to order out.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You can see his rash of pinkish bumps (septisemia?) in this photograph, behind his right gill and on the right pectoral fin. The antibiotics are working, and he is eating better now. This “rash” was much worse looking three days ago.
0899710A-516E-4EB0-AE1D-43F999D0405B.jpeg
28203434-0FF5-4D16-BF29-B8BBDDCF23D3.jpeg

DThompson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2018
Blaine, MN
Glad the Bio Clean is still working for you.
Hey RD, I've seen your posts before on using Bio-Clean but I can't find the one that specifies how much to use per gallon of water. Can you drop a link to that thread or just reply with how much to use? I want to try this out on my ray tank.

Thanks!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The following link was sent to me by my pal Wharf Wharf , and I wanted to share some of the info supplied in that discussion, by Dr. Tim Hovanec.
Thanks again, Matt, greatly appreciated!

Waste Away: Is it really bacterial? Or chemical? What does it do? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

But before we get into that, first let's look at Dr. Tim's bio.
About Dr. Tim | DrTim's Aquatics (drtimsaquatics.com)

Clearly this is a man of science, who knows his way around aquatic-based bacteria, and how they function both in nature, and in our glass boxes.
Ok, so he came into that discussion a bit hot, personally I appreciate his straight up no holds barred factual response, and I have a difficult time judging someone that is passionate, and well versed on a subject. I also have little patience for junk science, and those who promote same as facts. I doubt that was the OP's intentions, but that's pretty much what transpired. Good on Dr. Tim for taking the time to respond.

For those that don't want to read 10 pages of back & forth, some of it quite amusing, I'll do my best at posting a condensed version. Some of this info has already been posted in this topic by myself, but it was good to see Dr. Tim stating same.

Dr. Tim's Waste Away consists of several heterotrophic bacteria that he isolated from aquariums, that are good at consuming nitrate, phosphate, and degrading organics. They consist of bacteria from the Bacillus genus, and he does not consider sludge degrading bacteria such as these to be "probiotic". In the strict sense of the term, he is probably correct, even though they can have a probiotic effect on a system. If that makes any sense. Either way, I am not about to argue the point. lol

He mentions how one can get ammonia spikes under certain circumstances due to ammonia being a byproduct of organic digestion by the bacteria, as well as potential pH drops, due to hydrogen ions produced during the nitrification process.

Due to these bacteria requiring 02, one should not add them at night, when 02 levels are typically at their lowest levels, in an aquarium. In some circumstances this could result in oxygen depletion, and dead fish. It is best to add small amounts, more frequently, as heterotrophic bacteria die off relatively quickly once their food sources are consumed. He also states that just like in natural bodies of water, 100% of organics cannot be consumed by bacteria, and there will be some build up over time.

This is why one still has to export some sludge & various by-products that are left behind in our aquariums via filter cleanings, substrate vacuuming, and regular water changes. Simple enough to remove the leftovers manually in freshwater systems.

If you live in an area where the tap water is void of mineral content, you may want to consider adding some synthetic sea salt (a VERY small amount) as according to Tim sludge degrading bacteria require trace amounts of zinc, copper, manganese, cobalt, etc. My tap water contains all that & then some, so not an issue for me.

So, while IMHO his products are still way too overpriced for my use, especially compared to products such as Bio-Clean, his info certainly falls in line with what I have been stating for years, and may help put some members minds at ease that have been following this discussion, but have yet to take the leap of faith. ?

On a more personal note, for the past 30 days or so, I have been increasing the frequency of Bio-Clean additions in my tanks, to 2-3 times each week, instead of just once weekly, which amounts to 2-3 times total volume increase, compared to previous months/years, when I was adding 1/4 teaspoon weekly. It will be interesting to note any changes this volume & frequency of dosage makes over the months ahead.
Ok thanks. I have been treating two 125 gallon tanks, and a 90. The 90 is currently shut down, so just the two 125's. Those tanks will now be getting 1/4 teaspoon, 3 times a week, for the next several months. Less than your dosage, but I can always increase further at a later date if required. I've already posted pics of my filters from my midas tank in this thread, so I will update with new pics down the road.

Reactions: DThompson

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t using enough bio-clean in my big system.

Better to err on the high side and occasional cloudiness. I was only using 1 table spoon for 200+ gallons, and now I use 2, per week and/or 2 per water change.

Stupidly I was watching the filter situation more than the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store