A new start for my main tank?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
They do have an intrinsic purpose.
View attachment 1503379
Man, I hope that measuring tape is a couple feet behind the spider...

If that thing actually has a legspan in the 4-inch range, that would probably keep me out of the fishroom, let alone my wife. :)

The little wolf spiders that manage to find their way into our basement are tiny; a quarter-inch body would be a huge one.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Man, I hope that measuring tape is a couple feet behind the spider...

If that thing actually has a legspan in the 4-inch range, that would probably keep me out of the fishroom, let alone my wife. :)

The little wolf spiders that manage to find their way into our basement are tiny; a quarter-inch body would be a huge one.
He's only measuring it to see if he has a pan big enough! They'll eat anything them jungle guys, lol.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I like the goldfish idea, I have essox’s 180 set up with baby koi, just to see if anything keeps decent colour. If not they will go in the pond and take their chances, if they do they can go in the display pond.
I keep them with lemon bristlenose for variety, another option for you, along with trachycorstes galeatus. Are stone loach a native there? They would be a good free alternative to weather loach, albeit a bit on the small side for adult goldfish but they are not overly long lived (3 yrsish)

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like the goldfish idea, I have essox’s 180 set up with baby koi, just to see if anything keeps decent colour. If not they will go in the pond and take their chances, if they do they can go in the display pond.
I keep them with lemon bristlenose for variety, another option for you, along with trachycorstes galeatus. Are stone loach a native there? They would be a good free alternative to weather loach, albeit a bit on the small side for adult goldfish but they are not overly long lived (3 yrsish)
Nope, no stone loaches here. Truth to tell, I've been here over ten years now and haven't really found too many sites where I have much luck collecting interesting natives. I did recently luck into a few Central Mudminnows (Umbra limi) which is a very interesting little fish I have looked forward to keeping for awhile, but these are little specialty-type fish which won't be going into the main tank.

I'm still unsure about goldfish; I was just looking at Viktor's thread in which he shows videos of the big goldfish in one of his tanks engaged in a spawning scuffle...and I found myself looking through the goldfish tank and watching the gar in another tank in the background...:)

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I do like variety, but I would stik to a smaller tank for goldfish. If I had a 180 empty I'd be doing some big cichlids or bichirs etc. Stuff you can't do in a little tank. Go grab a 30 from the local petco for goldfish and loaches.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I do like variety, but I would stik to a smaller tank for goldfish. If I had a 180 empty I'd be doing some big cichlids or bichirs etc. Stuff you can't do in a little tank. Go grab a 30 from the local petco for goldfish and loaches.
Imo goldfish need a 55-75g max. They are social fish, and their bio load is super heavy. Goldfish would look great in a large tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store