A pump and GPH ?

turkoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
wi
I am going to use my bathtub to fill my tank I am going to have the water go into A bucket and pump it to the tank
The tub put out about 305 GPH
I will have about 35' of hose
there will be about A 5' rise going up
My question is what GPH pump should I get I assume considering I am going that far if I had A pump 300 GPH it will not pump 300 so how much do I lose
I don't want it too slow because then water will just overflow out of the bucket and waste water
I don't want it too fast because then the pump will at time have no water to pump

turkoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
wi
By the way I plan to use 3/4" ID hose but could go to 1" if it really made A difference

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Do you have a shower head as well in your bathtub?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'm confused. Why are you not going directly from the tub to the tank? What is the point of using a bucket in between?

As far as the pump, pumps that all are rated the same for GPH at zero head, may have completely different ratings at 5' head.

E.g.:

1) the Fluval Sea SP2 sump pump has a max rating of 950 GPH, but only delivers 275 GPH at 4.5 feet, and zero GPH at 6 feet;

2) the Iwaki 15-MD RLT has a max rating of 300 GPH, but delivers 200 GPH at 4.5 feet, and 180 GPH at 6 feet (and it can pump 80 GPH at 8 feet, and continue to pumps up to 10 feet.)

In this example, the Fluval wins easily at zero feet but loses badly once it gets close to or exceeds 5 feet.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Turn the water faucet down to match the pump. Not the other way around
Hello; This.

Do you have a shower head as well in your bathtub?
hello; You may be able to remove the shower head and attach a hose directly to the shower nozzle.

As far as the pump, pumps that all are rated the same for GPH at zero head, may have completely different ratings at 5' head.
Hello; Yes to this. Pumps are limited as to how high they can pump a column of water. The higher you go then generally the less water will be pumped. (I think)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the others, why not unscrew the shower head, or aerator from a tap and attach a none toxic tube or hose. You can't really pump more than your tap puts out, or you will run the pump in the bucket dry.

turkoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
wi
I have had problems with the shower head leaking so I don't want to take it on and off every week

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I can see an issue with directly connecting a hose to the spout or showerhead. It would be very difficult to get the desired temp. The water has to go somewhere while you adjust the knobs to the correct temp. You would need a shut off valve for the hose so you could get the temp right, then cut the water flow off while you insert the hose into the tank. If you go that route, it makes sense to get a 50' python since it is already set up and aquarium safe. If you get a pump, look for one with an adjustable flow rate that will work with the 5' head height. This is just an example, but the aapw series pumps available on amazon are reasonable and would work.
https://www.hydrofarm.com/downloads/fc/Pump_Info_Sheet_v3_17531.pdf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store