abei came in today

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
He got shipped out last night and got here today around noon. After acclimating him he got sent in the tank and darted to a corner. The lights have been on and initially he took cover in a log and then he started surfing the back glass of my tank. Up and down over and over. Lights are off now and room is dark so hopefully he will swim the tank a bit and gain some confidence and begin to build his personality. Still trying to come up with a name for him. He seems fistey though. I put a small shrimp on a feeding stick and he flew out of the log as soon as he saw it then took a quick bite. Didn't eat much after that though. Very excited!

2010-10-07 12.39.13.jpg

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Congrats! I'd keep the lights off for a day.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Yea I am going to keep the lights off all day today. Hes surfing the back glass in a different section now. I hope he gets comfortable and swims freely rather than being neurotic in a corner. I tried giving him a piece of frozen krill that I thawed in tank water, pretty big size, he took two quick bites, spit both out, and continued ignoring it.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
I definitely will take some better pics once he's all settled and happy. He better be happy after the month it took me to find him and the huge home he has all to himself! Can't Wait to fatten him up and grow him out a little. He's only roughly 2 inches now so hoping and praying I can get him to around 5 or more. 6 is the biggest I have heard about these guys.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Yea he has a nice little tummy on him after he eats. Hes mellowing out a big now. He camps out in the corner near the plants under the edge of the mangrove branch thingy. Less glass surfing. Just waiting for his personality to swing out and have him roaming the tank and looking out the glass at me. Hope it all comes around.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Just tried a mussel on him. He scarfed up a little piece that was left on one side of the shell but didnt touch the other half. He still has a nice little belly under him thats looking good. Not sure if maybe he just isnt totally into what foods yet. Still glass surfing though. Neurotic little guy.

xrayjeeper83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Jax, FL
He will probably stop surfing and start eating once he fully settles in.

Also krill is ok as a treat only. It can cause lock jaw if fed as a staple.

Oh ya very cute puffer

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Did not know that. He only took one little bite out of it and then had no interest from there so I will not be feeding any more to him. Dont want to give him anything that could be detrimental to his health. Is there any other foods I should keep away from? I bought some shrimp and mussels from the grocery store, froze them for 2 days, and tried both. He took a couple big bites from each but then loses interest and swims away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store