Abei puffer

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Do you think I could have one in a 10 gallon? I'm going to the lfs today as they sai they had a few cool puffers in. And one kinda sounded like an Abei. But I will take pics if I can't ID them....

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
I wouldn't do a 10 gallon. 20 long at the least. Mine was In a 30 cube. Extremely active puffer, atleast mine was, that likes to explore and hunt. I wouldn't have stuck mine In a 10g. Most lfs have figure 8s, green spotted, and dwarfs. Dwarfs being the only true freshwater, so don't let them talk You into the other two species. If however there is a Abei there, follow what I said above.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Awe, all I have room for is a 10. Guess I'll just keep looking for salivators.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would personally advise getting at least a 20L or 25G only because you'd have a lot more options...

Since a 10 honestly is only really good for dwarfs...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
My salivator is small enough to fit in a 10, but he swims so much that I dont think I would go any smaller than a 20g. Hes frisky as hell, and aggressive, so hes constantly patrolling his 30g. Like FatHomer said, really a 10g is only good for a dwarf or two. 3 at max. Put a bunch of plants in there, do a nice light, maybe make the tank a rimless, and you would have one heck of a nice tank with 2-3 fish packed with personality. Funny things about the dwarfs I used to have, their huge eyes always show how curious they are. I put tiny snails in the tank and their eyes would light up like christmas morning watching them slowly creep the glass before they would attack and make a meal of them. Really awesome little fish.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Ok I used to keep GSPs, so these little dwarfs really have alot of personality? Because that is the main thing I am looking for in a puffer. So 2 Females and 1 male, right? I already have the 10 set up, and haveing more than 2 tanks in the room may not be so good for my sleep lol.

ride1226

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
San Diego
Gsps grow like 6 inches and need full marine conditions as adults. I never tried those. If I went salt there's so many other puffers I'd want.

Yes the dwarfs are adoreable. That's a good way to go about it with one male and two female. I wasn't able to tell the sex on mine when I got them but didn't see much aggression in the tank since it was pretty decently planted. There is an entire website dedicated to those little guys though, can't remember the exact site but its packed with info.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I meant I USED to keep one and he had a great personality, wouldn't hurt anything that was about his size or bigger, he even used to get chased by a little bristle nose lol. Thanks! When I get them and finnish their tank I'll post pics.

puffykid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2012
Wisconsin
+1 to the comments above. Puffers tend to be one of the more personable fish that exists in fish keeping, but usually only if they have the minimum tank size. Puffers are smart when kept in smaller tank sizes they tend to glass surf more because they are bored due to not enough visual complexity and combined with not enough space = an unhappy puffer. Puffers also tend to be more relaxed before they hit sexual maturity, which takes about 4 years. Then they can become much more aggressive and unpredictable, but this all comes down to the individual personality.

Reactions: seove

seove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Do you think I could have one in a 10 gallon? I'm going to the lfs today as they sai they had a few cool puffers in. And one kinda sounded like an Abei. But I will take pics if I can't ID them....

Honestly, I don't think any fish should be kept in a 10 gal. unless it's a betta or maybe two small goldfish. Abei Puffers are sensitive to water quality and typically it's harder to keep good parameters in such a small body of water. Just my opinion Internet Experts.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store