ABF with UpperJaws

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Does anyone have experience keeping African Butterfly Fish with smaller uppers like Retropinnis, Mokele-mbembe and either a Polli/Dehlezi/Palmas/Senegalus? There will also be an African knife and 3 ropes and a few other 6" Middle/top swimmers. It will be in a 150 paludarium with around 20" of swimming height and realistically around 120 gallons of water.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yes, I have:

3 Butterflies
1 Delhezi
1 Mokelembembe
1 Palmas Polli
3 Ropes.

If I had a bigger tank I'd be getting an african knife as well. :)

The butterflies are top dwellers to the extreme, the polys like the bottom but do swim. The only interactions I've seen is when a poly swims up to hang out or get air and brushes by a butterfly just because they happen to be up near where they're going. (Polys don't seem to have body awareness LOL)

I think they're a great match.

What are your specific questions?

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
From what I've read they get up to 5" max size. I don't have any personal experience but if they are like hatchets they are oblivious to the world underneath and with the larger species poly's that would leave them open for ambush, I would think. I'm more interested in the smaller poly's with the slender eel like bodies and just wondered if Moke/Retropinnis would bother them once full grown

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They are oblivious to the world below. They can jump but not as bad hatchet fish. They'd be fine with the smaller upper jaws. I've had them together without any issues. They do feel comfortable with some floating plants. Can keep several together.

Will be able to keep a full grown moke and retro with them.

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Yes, I have:

3 Butterflies
1 Delhezi
1 Mokelembembe
1 Palmas Polli
3 Ropes.

If I had a bigger tank I'd be getting an african knife as well. :)

The butterflies are top dwellers to the extreme, the polys like the bottom but do swim. The only interactions I've seen is when a poly swims up to hang out or get air and brushes by a butterfly just because they happen to be up near where they're going. (Polys don't seem to have body awareness LOL)

I think they're a great match.

What are your specific questions?
Do You have any pics of your tank? I would love to see it!

Reactions: Polyaddict86

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry magpie magpie . I just read all the posts. This is all you!

Bad Kitty

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
They are oblivious to the world below. They can jump but not as bad hatchet fish. They'd be fine with the smaller upper jaws. I've had them together without any issues. They do feel comfortable with some floating plants. Can keep several together.

Will be able to keep a full grown moke and retro with them.
Thanks, thats awesome. That makes me happy :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store