? about the diy overflow

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
I know all about since it is my sticky but
my question is do you guys think it will keep its prime at 1 gal an hour
i want to put the drip system on my 135 but i don't want to put a sump on it if i don't have 2

so what i want to do is use a diy overflow like in the sticky and drip 1 gallon per hour in the tank
3/4 inch pipe should be fine for this

any thoughts i say it should work but has anyone done this

thanks
mike

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
No it wont Mike, I tried. There is a DIY that you can make that will keep it's prime though. I'll either take a pic of mine or try to find the pic on here somewhere. It's even easier than the one you posted originally.

Reactions: feraledgeoutdoors

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
ok thanks bro

let me know

mike

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Take a small section of PVC (I used 1/2") and make a big U shape. Then get a peice of 1" and cap the bottom. Install a "T" where you want the water level to be, hang it on the tank (I used a PVC hanger zip tied to the 1" tube), put the "U" in the 1" tube and the tank then it's done. Just fill the 1" tube and install an air line check valve on the "U" to pull the air out.

I think this is the method that Li and a couple of others are using. It's working great for me.

dripoverflow.jpg

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
makes since 2 me bro
the water in the 1" pvc is the same level as in the tank
when the water gets higher in the tank it gets higher in the pipe and goes to the drain
perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you sir
good call bro

mike

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
The overflows works fine for my drip system. I think the key is to not let air backflow into the system and to minimize splash in the down tube. Just raise the vent tee so that it is higher. That would make it about the same as other method.

Reactions: feraledgeoutdoors

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
coolkeith;1249905; said:
The overflows works fine for my drip system. I think the key is to not let air backflow into the system and to minimize splash in the down tube. Just raise the vent tee so that it is higher. That would make it about the same as other method.

i think you missed the point of his question.

Reactions: bobblehead27

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Yeah, I never knew questions had points. I use a drip system and an overflow and it works without losing it's prime.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Mine kept getting air in it from splashes when I fed the fish.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
After the overflow ages some, it grows the usual bio-gunk inside just like the rest of the aquarium. This stuff is alive and expells dissolved gasses into the water. In very low flow applications, the dissolved gasses reach the saturation point and then start to collect in small bubbles. As these bubbles grow, they break away from the sides and float upwards. They collect in the top loop until the point that flow is no longer possible.

The remedy is to either use smaller diameter parts or to clean the overflow every now and then (about four times per year).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store