Acrylic monster tanks?

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
I see you have given this much thought Pacu Mom. I really appreciate your feedback! I have a good start now to begin my research and calculations.

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
I see you have given this much thought Pacu Mom. I really appreciate your feedback! I have a good start now to begin my research and calculations.

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
Holy smokes, are you just gonna have you pacu in it, or any other fish?

Also to OP. Check around craigslist. Some tanks are worth driving for. In Florida there was a 900 gallon tank, stand and canopy for 10,000 with 2" acrylic.
Nice!

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
As far as the height of the stand, you need to plan out your filtration. Most large tanks use a sump of some kind (although some people go with Ultimas IIs or similar filters). If you go with a sump, where will you put it? If it is going under the stand, your stand needs to be high enough to access the sump or any other filtration you put there. If you plan to wall in the tank, you have further options such as external overflow boxes on the sides of the tank. If you are going with overflow boxes, consider external ones instead of internal--gives you more room in the tank. Your tank builder can fabricate the tank to your specifications. (I had them drill eleven additional holes on the top of my tank for my mechanical filtration) The stand height may influence the height of the tank in terms of your accessing the top of the tank. I have a short stand, only 24 inches, but that still puts the top of the tank at 6 ft, so I definitely need the platform. I say go as long, tall and wide as you can :)

Reactions: M@T!@$

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
That's some good input and also good advice about the size recommendation : )
Honestly, I'm thinking to use several FX6s, lined up along the back, sitting high on blocks. The sump and its pumps might be too noisy, costly, etc. I was gonna use a 24" stand.

What type of mechanical filtration did you drill for on top? Before I purchase, I'll definitely want to see pics of the top of tank, to make filter and access modifications. Most acrylic tanks have a wide lip all around, partially for support, which restrict direct access into the tank.

I'm gonna check out some of the larger tanks sizes at the LFS to get a visual on height and width. Considering the options, if you had to do it over again, would you still go 4ft x 4ft? Also, thanks for sharing your tank pics earlier.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Would go with the same size, no bigger, no smaller. It is adequate for our two fish. On our 300 gallon tank, we run two RTL-25 filters with a Hammerhead pump. We have extreme mechanical filtration. Love them so much, I'm going with six RTL-100s on the big tank. RTLs are mainly used on big reef systems. I was clueless on filtration for the 300 gallon tank, so contacted a man who sets up and maintains reef systems for businesses like doctors offices. He provided me with the RTL-25s and the Hammerhead pump. We have vertical pipes coming down just off the bare floor. Debris scuttles across the floor and quickly gets removed from the tank. I call them "poop suckers". The poop suckers are great for water changes and they are plumbed so turning an outside valve starts draining the tank. Here are the uptake and return pipes for my mechanical filtration. The pipes will be the only decoration in the undecorated tank.
pipes.jpg

Am using two Ultima II 4000s for biological filtration. One of them will be using two of these pipes. The other Ultima will draw from the sump (used for redundant filtration) and return to the main tank.

You should check out Hulon's Ultimate Filtration Thread. Check out the Biowave filters. I might have gone that route if I hadn't already purchased my Ultimas.

I am unwilling to ever give up my RTLs.

Reactions: jaws7777

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
That's some good input and also good advice about the size recommendation : )
Honestly, I'm thinking to use several FX6s, lined up along the back, sitting high on blocks. The sump and its pumps might be too noisy, costly, etc. I was gonna use a 24" stand.

What type of mechanical filtration did you drill for on top? Before I purchase, I'll definitely want to see pics of the top of tank, to make filter and access modifications. Most acrylic tanks have a wide lip all around, partially for support, which restrict direct access into the tank.

I'm gonna check out some of the larger tanks sizes at the LFS to get a visual on height and width. Considering the options, if you had to do it over again, would you still go 4ft x 4ft? Also, thanks for sharing your tank pics earlier.
I wouldn't do fx6 on that size tank. Too much pain to clean, and pretty expensive. You're better off with a sump

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
I checked them all out, a lot to consider, thanks for sharing.

Btw, I bet you''ll have a couple of happy fish your tank!

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you don't want a sump them Ultima or the WLim bead filters are your best bet.

Reactions: pacu mom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store