Activated Carbon causes holes in the head in some fishes ?

AROWANA_KISS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
PUERTO RICO
It was believed that a genus of flagellated protozoa (some call it an opportunistic parasite) causes it. Usually introduced by feeders. When treated, parasites reduced but there is no obvious improvement on the condition.
When diet is supplemented with vitamins, especially C & D3, vast improvement can be seen (with good water quality). IMO, stress weakens the immune system & results in the advent of the disease. With a balanced diet & good water quality, you'll not face this problem.
Activated Carbon is specially heated/treated (not charcoal). It ABSORBS colour, chemicals, chlorine, organic compounds, toxins. It also has the greatest surface area (due to the heating process) for beneficial bacteria to colonise so that they can convert ammonia to NO2 to NO3 to nitrogen gas (Nitrogen cycle). It is the best filtration media to start-up a new system and to remove medication after treatment. Unfortunately, it has a short lifespan and is not reusable. No one can tell for certain how long it will last, it all depends on the load or amount of a.carbon used. Only guileline is, when u wash the carbon & u don't see black particles or black cloudy water, its useless. When exhausted, it will release the "waste" back into the water. This is very dangerous, the fish will be stressed and immune system down. This will then become the parasites' "buffet" and may be the reason why some associate Holes in the head with carbon. It is best to change them every 7 days. It is good to use it as a long term media, but it is very costly.

by: Kelvin Fong www.arowana.com

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
good info

Princley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
us
parasites R not in carbon washing old used carbon the parasite may stay there, i would not fully blame hole in head on it ..and IF u can get the MEANS of Injecting the fish that has hole in head it can b cured...feeders do in fact carry the parasite if brought up in dirty envioments

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
good stuff. That does make sence.

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
i disagree with that. i've been using carbon for my arowanas for the past 10 years..and i dont have such problems at all.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
ckk125 said:
i disagree with that. i've been using carbon for my arowanas for the past 10 years..and i dont have such problems at all.
how often do you change it?

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
HITH cause is always a controversial topic even among experts in the field. I'm not a scientist at all and definately not an expert on fish diseases but my own take on this is that carbon, active or not, is not a cause for HITH but rather a potential mechanism that can perpetuate the disease via improper water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store