Add another pump, or add a canister?

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
i have a heavily stocked Tanganikan tank with a 240g display and a 40g sump. I am not getting as much mechanical filtration as I would like, and I’m considering options. Here’s the setup:

1 x 3200 gph return pump (prob moving 1800 after losses)
2 x 2200 gph wave pumps run at 60% flow, set to surge every 90 sec
Sump is wet/dry, consisting of a large stack of poret foam w/ gradually smaller ppi
4L seachem Matrix for extra bio
2nd 600 gph pump running a UV sterilizer and a media reactor w/ GFO and Purigen

The sand stays spotless; I never vacuum it. The water is crystal clear (I.e. not cloudy), but particulate is a lot heavier than i’d like. I feed heavy and often right now; I know this is a contributing factor, but i’m aiming for growth.

I want to amp up my mech filtration; I’m leaning toward adding a second return pump, but I’ve seen a lot of people running a canister off the sump. What are your opinions & experiences? Thx!

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
AquaClear what? I did a web search; I see a bunch of HOB filters & some type of pellet. To what are you referring? Thx

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Many people on this site use those Aqua clears for mechanical for their tanks with a 2:40 like you have I would buy two and hang them off the back of the tank

Beautiful tank by the way

Reactions: twentyleagues

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
Thx for the compliment. No room on the tank for those though; to keep the living room as large as possible, it’s partially in the wall.

What do the aqua clears do differently to make them work so well? For me, I think he media is good, but that I just. don’t get enough turnover across it. If I don’t feed for two days, I have zero particulate. I’d like to get to that point a few hours after feedings.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
That's why those Aqua clears work so well they have high turnover so that you get the particulates pulled out of the tank water instead of waiting for them to go through the Weirs and down into the sump if you increase the flow in your sump you're actually reducing your bio contact time

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
You mentioned bio contact time. How much dwell does everyone think is enough?
Somewhere between 4 and 10 times per hour I prefer the lower turnover and then adding power heads or other forms of flow to get my desired oxygenation I know there are threads on this if you search the Forum I can't fit hang on filters on my big tank either so I use canisters to polish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store