Add another pump, or add a canister?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I think that part of the problem is that your sump is a bit small for that size tank. I think the minimum sump should be at least a 55. However, a 75 or 90 would be best. I recommend taking some time to build up a bigger sump using filter socks, and then swapping them out. I think you have plenty of flow, but it’s possible that directing it into the tank differently will work better.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
In your case I'd do a canister on the tank not the sump, if you can't hang an aquaclear on the back. Canister full of sponge or other mech filtration. It's not going to help adding anything to your sump. You need to pull the particulate out of the water in the tank before it goes to the sump. Unless it's getting through your sump back to the tank?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
If you can find an old canister (craigslist, ebay, friend) I would pack it with filter floss and foam pads. Hang it on the back of the tank or on the sump. Sump will not be near as efficient for what you are wanting to accomplish tho

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
Thx. I was thinking about a larger sump. No filter socks though; I did that on my last tang setup & I had to change them every few days. They just clog too easily

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
SunSun canister filter would work well. I have a 404b, only on an 80 gallon but it is easy to maintain and does the job. Also is very quiet and the intake/return are black which is nice. For your needs, I would just pack full of mech. Also has a UV bulb built in which is kind of nice too have.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thx. I was thinking about a larger sump. No filter socks though; I did that on my last tang setup & I had to change them every few days. They just clog too easily
That's the point of them. Best way to export is to totally remove it. As they fill up remove them switch them for clean ones and clean the dirty ones. I have 12 socks I use 2 at a time switched out about every 3 days. I put the dirty ones in a bucket of water and bleach, when I'm on my last set I wash the dirty ones in the washer. I use more bleach extra rinse cycle and air dry, then back in to the cycle.

Reactions: pescado209

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the filter socks, and rinsing them out every couple days is a good thing, and the point, by exporting the materials that create nitrate, and other metabolism by-products.
Or a quick way is having one sock on the tank, another waiting. when it starts to get plugged take the sock off, put a clean one on, and soak the plugged in bleach, it will be clean and unplugged in about 24 hours, let it dry out, and it'll be ready when the next one plugs. I usually rotated 3 socks, 1in bleach, 1 in sump, and 1 drying, easy on and off, and the rotation gives sock a long life..
The thing is....clear water does not mean good water for the fish, it just means its pleasing to you.

Reactions: pescado209

Insite

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Atlanta
Understand the point about filter socks for sure. I guess what I really want is better mech filtration with less maintenance than filter socks, even if it costs a lot. My past setup was a little smaller, but mechanically the water quality was better. IMO the filter is fine enough & the sediment is staying in the water column. The only other major variable is turnover rate....

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I would add a nuclear canister 100 micron canister filter and buy an extra 100micron filter cartridge, you clean them the same way 5 gallon bucket water just over filter and 1 cup of bleach for 24 hrs rinse and let dry completely. For your set up it would take some time in between changing out cartridge pressure gauge will tell you when filter is clogged. IT comes with charcoal I don’t use it

6F478611-3D0C-4D1B-A9D6-790D09E24501.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store