Adding Clown loaches to established malawi tank

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Happy New Year !
I m thinking about adding 4 clown loaches to 90 gallon all male peacock/hap tank.
Clowns sizes ranges from 4 - 6 inches.
They live currently in a 50 gal with Jack Dempsay/ electric blua acara tank (both juveniles)
In 90 I have 16 males, about 6 of them max size.
Do you think adult malawis will accept their new friends?
Is it 90 gal big enough for all that fish? Or would it be overstocked?
Filtration is not a problem - Im runing fluval 406 and 207 + 50% water change weekly.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, the addition of the Clown Loaches would probably be fine, as long as an apprpriate hardscape is provided.
The Clowns will need places to hide during the first few weeks, until tankmates get accustomed to the newcomers.
I keep Y. Modesta & Berdmorei Loaches in my African tank, which includes Mbuna, with no problems.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And I will add to that, also IMO Chromobotia macracanthus do not belong with African cichlids - they simply are not a good fit. The species of loaches that Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair keeps with his fish, are far more aggressive, than clown loaches. I know that it has been done, I have seen many mixes involving clown loaches over the years, including in some of my tanks - but IME clown loaches do best & show their most natural behaviour when they are the most dominant species, or at least share that dominance with their tank mates. That will generally not happen in a tank containing African cichlids.

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
And I will add to that, also IMO Chromobotia macracanthus do not belong with African cichlids - they simply are not a good fit. The species of loaches that Stephen St.Clair Stephen St.Clair keeps with his fish, are far more aggressive, than clown loaches. I know that it has been done, I have seen many mixes involving clown loaches over the years, including in some of my tanks - but IME clown loaches do best & show their most natural behaviour when they are the most dominant species, or at least share that dominance with their tank mates. That will generally not happen in a tank containing African cichlids.
I will probably skip that idea and look for new home for them, as for sure in that 50 gal Jack will claim bottom of tank for himself soon.
In the place where I live its difficult to rehome the fish so im thinking about other options. I have ~130l (~36gal - 80L40w40H) which I could turn into clown loach tank, but thats probably not big enough for them??

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
IMO your 90 gallon tank is already overstocked.
So whats the good number for peacocks and small haps in a tank like mine? To be honest if all the rest of my males get to the size of my borley or OB peacock then I cant imagine them all together in this tank. But lots of sites/youtubers says that 18 males in 90g is alright..
Im skiping those who claims that 25-30fish is ok in 90g - I think thats madness.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
IMO, as long as you continue your noted maintenence practices the current stock level should be manageable.
As things progress & if things appear to be getting cramped you'll need to make stock adjustments.

Reactions: Adam GR

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have ~130l (~36gal - 80L40w40H) which I could turn into clown loach tank, but thats probably not big enough for them??
No, not even close.

So whats the good number for peacocks and small haps in a tank like mine? To be honest if all the rest of my males get to the size of my borley or OB peacock then I cant imagine them all together in this tank.
I think that you just answered your own question. Haps are typically open water fish, that spend their life cruising and hunting in the open water. They don't work well cramped into a small space, especially as they get larger and become sexually mature. An all male tank can be a juggling act even in a 6ft tank, the tighter the footprint the more difficult it will become. It's not about some set given number, it's about balance, and IMO with 16 males in a 4ftx18" footprint a good balance will not be achieved. I'm not sure what experience others have on other sites/youtube etc, but I have a few decades worth of experience with African cichlids, including all male peacock/hap tanks. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/africans-from-the-past-warning-pic-heavy.716020/

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I like 12 males in a 48" tank, but only if none of them mature over six inches. Borleyi are too big for a 48" tank IME.

Reactions: RD.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Consider keeping a reserve African tank. As things progress some of the cichlids will blossom, some won't. Some will prove to be unsuitable for your set up.
Use the reserve tank to temporarily house the unsuitable & unwanted cichlids. Rehome or trade them. I use this method.
Most of your 16 Africans are juveniles. I'd let them grow out. You'll figure out which ones need to stay or go.
Each keepers set up, population size & combination of fish differ. What works for some fails for others. I probably keep over twice the amount of Africans you do in my 5 ft tank. Doesn't appear crowded, all healthy fish, no unmanageable aggression issues.
Successfully keeping an African cichlid community is all about learning how to make adjustments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store