advice on adding another cichlid

aquanaut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2007
Philly
If both Cons breed at the same time... or when:) , you are gonna have fun.
Expect the FMs to get their clocks cleaned. A 2" Con against a 2" FM is almost a sure bet on the Con. Particulary when breeding. When the fry start moving about the tank and they will guarded by ma and pa the fun starts...:popcorn:

If you add anything may I suggest Giant Danios, an odd number say 3... don`t add anything that will claim bottom territory you will need all you have!

JeffC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
what if I move fish around....maybe break up breeding pairs. What I'm looking for is a good mix for a central american tank. If starting from scratch, what would you recommend for a CA tank for variety and color?

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Have you tried a Sajica? Pretty cool fish for a 55g tank. Careful though they'll breed with Convicts (close cousins). Get an all male tank with a Convict, a Sajica and a Firemouth with some cool dithers and a Gold Nugget Pleco.

Here's what accidently happened in my 55g. He was only a baby too.

02-05-2007 Sajica & Convict Hybrid Fry 014.jpg

02-05-2007 Sajica & Convict Hybrid Fry 002.jpg

CichlidKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2006
Connecticut
Convicts tend to be very territorial once they've established a breeding pair. You need to let us know what size tank you have.
If it is large enough, i would advice maybe adding two fish instead of one. One new fish will take the brunt of the convicts furry, but two might work out better so that the new guy has a buddy, it will help both new fish survive.
gl

aquanaut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2007
Philly
Another lil cool guy is http://www.cjexotics.com/images/cutteri2.JPG. Also close to the Con. Breed almost as much too...

Get a small tank (20 or better) which can later be used as a hospital tank :) seperate the females or one pair and go from there. The thing that would worry me is when both pair have fry and they are on the move... the FM won`t have anywhere to go but up in the tank to escape.

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
sandtiger;737863; said:
I have a feeling that once a pair of convicts establishes itself the other fish will be gonners.
no convict pair will only take up half the tank! thats why you can keep two pairs in a 55!

my pair only keeps one half just stay away from their half! or the male will get all over you!:screwy:

JeffC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Kalispell, Montana

WolfFisho1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
carpediem;748617; said:
Good advice so far... Too many "temporary" tanks turn into bad situations. 55 gallon tank is a good setup for 2 pairs of convicts and maybe a few dither fish.
idk about dithers in that tank! convicts only ever fight right on the borders of their territory! but wouldnt go over too far and make the fight seriuos! there would be no need for dithers and no room!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store