Advice please. Rubber plecos keep dying?!

Debraroseh

Feeder Fish
Feb 19, 2019
I am baffled as to why the rubber plecos I buy keep dying the next day after purchase. They are in a 5gal tank with small female beta and 2 small African dwarf frogs. I will upgrade the tank size in a month or so but that shouldn’t be the reason they are dying next day right? I did a water test and everything was normal. All the other fish are fine, it’s just the rubber plecos. The filter I have agitates the top of the tank so air bubbles reach the bottom as well. I also got some small pieces of driftwood to put into the tank with them but nothing I do seems to be helping. I’m at a loss and any advice would be appreciated.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Are u using a liquid kit when water testing? Might be the acclimation process. What’s ur process like? From the lfs, like PetSmart?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Since ribberlips are kind of sensitive to water quality issues, and tanks under 20 gal take a lot more work to keep pristine, and that's without the fact that plecos produce a lot of waste. Could be the perfect storm .

How long did you aclimate them to the water and how? Also is your tank cycled?

Reactions: Matteus

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
On top of being sensitive, they also like fast flowing cool water(low 70's).

Don't worry, That last one I bought disappeared the day I put him in my 75. I Image he died in some corner within a few days(this happened about 2-3 years ago).

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
I’d say that rubber nose aren’t that picky with water temp if they supposedly like low 70s. My tanks is about 80 and have had a regular rubber for a long time and just got a spotted rubber. Both are just fine. I see both swimming around all the time on the glass and decor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store