Advise needed: ATFs shoal or comm

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Those who have kept ATFs together; need your opinion and experience.

I am in the midst of getting a batch of 5 ATFs (sizes around 10-12 inches).

Four of them: 3 VATF and 1 GATF are raised together and apparently not much fights amongst themselves.

The other one; FATF is from another hobbyist.

I have 2 tanks that can house them - together or separately. The scenario:

1. All five of them into my monster comm. It has a mix of wolves, aro, gar, dorado, Oscar and PB.

2. Three of the VATFs into the monster comm. The GATF and FATF into my other tank of an AUL and some small dithers.

3. All five of the into the AUL tank.

A few concerns:

1. Do ATFs do better in a shoal? Will there be missing eyes and torn fins in the future?

2. Will ATFs bother bottom dwellers like AUL?

3. Which is a bigger risk: wolves going after the ATFs or fighting amongst themselves?

Alternatively, anyone can suggest a great way to house them (either together or break up into the two tanks mentioned) for the best results?

Sincere thanks and have a great weekend. :)

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Add:

I am leaning towards keeping / grooming the GATF to be a showpiece. It is harder to come by than other ATFs here - discounting brevis or tanzie of course. :)

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
How big is your AUL? And how big are your wolves? A friend of mine had a 4" curu and a 7" vatf together for about a year. Then one day the 11" curu ate the 8" vatf... You get the picture..? Wolves grow a lot faster than atfs.

Reactions: Red Aimara

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
The AUL is closing in 3 foot. Don't think anyone is gonna eat him. But my concern is whether they will attack the eyes or fins of a much bigger tankmate.

The largest Curupira is at 14 inch. The other Malas is 12 and 8 respectively.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I asked the size of the AUL because I thought he might snack on the Tigers :). I don't know much about those guys because I've never had them but a quick read up on auls told me that they hunt at night and they're opportunistic carnivores..?

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
AULs are actually very very friendly to other tank mates.

Mine has live for 5 years with a 5 inch clown loach without any incidents. :)

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Im curious to know myself since I am getting a group of large 6 10-12" VATF and 2 Arumtus that were together since 4-5"...will these group attack other fish?

Goban

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
jakarta
My VATF refused to eat when i put him with a same sized dorado.So I had to remove the dorado. I hear from friends that wolves and oscars can be very agressive. I am not sure about this though, because it still depends on individual specimen. Hope you find the best mix for your tigers

Reactions: Red Aimara
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store