African Biotope - 80 gallon frag

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I’ve got a seapora 80 gallon frag (48x24x16) and ultimately not doing salt that big until I commit to a sump and the time etc,. For the meantime I’m planning an African biotope with some baby bichirs & a Pom Pom knife.

Does anyone think a African pike would be alright with the Pom Pom? Or do I have to go butterflies?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Pom Pom knifefish (aka Afer knifefish) turn into giant psycho killers eventually and Odoes can be skititish in confined areas. Stick with the Polys, butterfly fish and maybe african (brown) knifefish.

You could always try an schoutedeni puffer.
thats actually a terrific recommendation, I didn’t think of that puffer. He’d do quite well in that tank

I stand corrected, got hooked up with one of the old Deep Blues! Pays to have a good relationship with a LFS.

8757A044-53ED-4E52-B10C-4E2A3F93B3C0.jpeg

Does anyone think a fluval SP2 sub pump would be way too much for a 20 gallon on this?

Can anyone name some African catfish, probably synodontis I’m assuming, that get in the 6-10 inch range?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Synodontis decorus, S. angelicus, Microsynodontis (dwarf Synodontis- super cool) and there are a few species of dwarf Giraffe cats that might work.

I'm not thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter , but S. schoutedeni is a legitimate species. Nice fish, can get sort mustardy yellow base color with age. It used to be a rarity, but they have become more common over time.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I'm not thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter , but S. schoutedeni is a legitimate species. Nice fish, can get sort mustardy yellow base color with age. It used to be a rarity, but they have become more common over time.
I think the Syno. Schoutedeni is my #1 choice since I’ll have that puffer ? and it only seems right. But the dwarf giraffe is definitely intriguing.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store