African Clawed Frog

buster york

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Golden.Colorado
I've got an African clawed frog that isn't eating. He looks like a skeleton. The 20 gallon tank he is in isn't heated the water temp is about 72?F. That's the only thing I can think of is the water is too cold. I've tested the water quality and it's fine.
Any body know anything about these creatures?

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
Hmm, i kept some for a few years before they spontainiously combusted... well...exploded without the fire....:wtf:

I'd try getting a heater, 78F is a good temp for them.

what were you feeding it? dry blood worms and sinking pellets are good for them.

The main problem I suspect is that it isnt finding the food. They have a heck of a hard time seeing and smelling and finding the food, especially in a 20gallon, it's a pretty big tank.

what else are you keeping in there?

Other fish probably eat all the food before it gets to it, I suggest seperating it if possible, or Holding food in front of it and making sure it gets it.

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
I had one that loved it at about 80-85 degrees! He would eat pellets and little feeders! Pretty sweet frog! Good luck with him!

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Try blood worms and keep the water quality good. You will need to have a heater and a filter on the tank.

I have 15 of them and they are pigs.

Super G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
Detroit
I bred theese frogs in college. They croak from under the water and the sound gets amplified. And they can spontaniously change sex. I have never had luck with using a heater on theese guys. and I have heard that filters bother them.
Reguardless I always used a quiet aquaclear filter on them with great results.
I once witnessed a Clawed frog regenerate an entire limb, fingers and all!

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I've never heard them croak from under water....

I've always keep them in tanks that have heaters and filters. The ones I have play in the current from the power heads.

buster york

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Golden.Colorado
Thanks for the input. I think i'll put him in a smaller tank by himself and keep the temp. higher. Maybe give him some live bloodworms or somthing to get him all jazzed up about eating.

Super G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2006
Detroit
The only time mine croak tons is when they are in a container with no water movement and no heater. I have seen deaths from theese frogs when kept above room temp. 70-80 degrees

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I can't answer to that because non of my tanks run warmer then 80. Most of mine run around 75

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store