African river biotope ideas

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thought I’d revive this thread. I’m interested in a Congo biotope for my t. schoutedeni . I’ve introduced 2 types of African tetra, blue diamond and red eyes. I was wondering about easy plants from that part of the world, as well as algae eaters. And yes I know the puffers might savage the other fish, though so far they show no interest. I have space to relocate any damaged fish.
I had my Schoutedeni in with congos and redeyes also in a 75. It was the exact opposite the tetras would take the puffers snails to the far side of the tank and were constantly ziping around. While the puffer was healthy he/she was obviously unhappy. My puffer is currently in a 65 with a group of 8 synodontis lucipinis. The synos were in the 75 also. They get along fine and the puffer is back to her/his old self.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I had my Schoutedeni in with congos and redeyes also in a 75. It was the exact opposite the tetras would take the puffers snails to the far side of the tank and were constantly ziping around. While the puffer was healthy he/she was obviously unhappy. My puffer is currently in a 65 with a group of 8 synodontis lucipinis. The synos were in the 75 also. They get along fine and the puffer is back to her/his old self.
I bet that setup looks awesome. I really want a shoudetedeni puffer some day.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thought I’d revive this thread. I’m interested in a Congo biotope for my t. schoutedeni . I’ve introduced 2 types of African tetra, blue diamond and red eyes. I was wondering about easy plants from that part of the world, as well as algae eaters. And yes I know the puffers might savage the other fish, though so far they show no interest. I have space to relocate any damaged fish.
Anubias, Crinum, Corkscrew vallis is from am area around lake Tanganyika if I recall correctly. I don't know about algae eaters though.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Shoutendeni are available right now. Still expensive but captive bred since they’re small, all the same size, and very healthy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store