African Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus) ID and Care Guide 3.0

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I've dissected some of my past ATF's as well as some of my friends' ATFs and I clearly recall the females(some with eggs) having similar characteristics. Taller profile, smaller jaws and bulkier bodies are some of the traits. In all fairness... the last one I dissected was in 1998 and although I believe what I dissected was in fact a VATF, I have to say that I can not be certain of the I.D. of the species. So, perhaps the smaller jaw characteristic should not be included as a trait. I would love to dissect a dozen or so mature specimens before I can come to a more accurate conclusion.

'While your observations on the gender of your tigerfish is consistent with my own intuition and knowledge of the general secondary sexually characteristics of fish, I'm curious to know: how did you determine the gender of yours?'

Would love to hear your take on this as well. Please share your intuition and how you determined the gender. I have been out of the hobby for over 10 years and have recently (less than one year) started fish keeping again. Thank you for your time.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
In the vast majority of non-dimorphic fishes, it seems as though (barring extenuating circumstances) females tend to grow larger and get fuller bodied than males. I specifically caveat the non-dimorphic species in this regard because while females will GENERALLY get larger, exceptional males will exist. Almost all tigerfish are not sexually dimorphic (upper Zambezi VATF withstanding).

I am thoroughly convinced with the manner by which you drew your conclusion as to the gender of your fishes. I have suspected what you're saying for some time, and indeed there is literature to support the idea that females get fatter.

I rather enjoy this exchange. I don't believe we've crossed paths on the forum before. This was certainly a productive exchange. :)

I am satisfied enough with your conclusions that I will write an addendum to this Guide to reflect this information.

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

• Wow

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
In the vast majority of non-dimorphic fishes, it seems as though (barring extenuating circumstances) females tend to grow larger and get fuller bodied than males. I specifically caveat the non-dimorphic species in this regard because while females will GENERALLY get larger, exceptional males will exist. Almost all tigerfish are not sexually dimorphic (upper Zambezi VATF withstanding).

I am thoroughly convinced with the manner by which you drew your conclusion as to the gender of your fishes. I have suspected what you're saying for some time, and indeed there is literature to support the idea that females get fatter.

I rather enjoy this exchange. I don't believe we've crossed paths on the forum before. This was certainly a productive exchange. :)

I am satisfied enough with your conclusions that I will write an addendum to this Guide to reflect this information.

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thank you Rob! Indeed, we have not crossed paths but I'm sure there will many more exchanges in the future. I have been growing out a batch of VATF's(from Wes) since April 29 of this year(from 5-6 inches to 9-14 inches) and my current batch will be going into a 18ftx9ft swimming pool next month. When the opportunity presents itself(soon), I will grow out a different batch of 10-15 VATF's and will keep more detailed records/logs of the grow out (hopefully with your help). I think I should stick with the VATF's since I've already started with them. Having a better understanding of growth rates, optimal flow requirements and sexing the ATF's would be some of the short term goals.

• Wow

Ash_Thompson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2015
United Kingdom
Very interesting article, really enjoyed reading it. Although I have my own experience with African Tigerfish I still learnt alot from it, thanks for sharing!

Heres a pic of one of my 5 Vittatus, they live with a Goliath in community with Hydrolycus and others in a 400 USgallon.Tigerfish vittatus.jpg

Tigerfish vittatus.jpg

Reactions: i said no

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
I'm curious to know what kind of wave makers or power heads people are using in their tanks. I'm gathering things that I need for when I set up my 180 soon.

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
Just got myself a goliath and he hasn't settled in yet. My vittatus has been doing well with my water current setup but I guess it wasn't working for the goliath. Looked at your diagram and moved my power head and wave maker and now the goliath is finally settling in. Sucks tho cuz he messed up his snout.hopefully he heals back up. At first I thought I just didn't have enough current so I ordered a 1600 GPH but I just didn't arrange my stuff correctly.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
He should probably heal up OK so long as there isn't any damage to the bone. I favor Hydor Koralias for my powerheads.

Supervee

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Minnesotta
Thanks. I think my goliath is the way he is cuz the guy who brought me the goliath came from out of town and brought the fish in a bucket. I put the fish in a bag to acclimate him and he started going belly up. Put him in the tank and everyone started picking on him. Took him awhile to eat. My old goliath wasn't skittish and my vittatus isn't skittish either. But the new wave maker is helping. Keeps the fish active and they been eating a lot. Still have to order more for the bigger tank and set it up soon.

chicxulub just wondering u have any new video updates of your African tigers?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I don't have any new videos because I don't have any more tigers. I had my tigers while I was stationed in Missouri, where they are legal. When I got out of the Army, I moved home to Florida and had to sell them off because they're banned there. I'm now in Texas, where they are also illegal. It sucks, but it is what it is. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus and cal4149
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store