AHHHHH, Rapps!

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
Dudes and dudettes. Rapps has just got in some caquetaia sp. "Panama Green". I've been trying to dig up all the info i can on these guys and what I've basically found is that they get HUGE, and thats it :( . Nothing on them. I'm seriously considering clearing out my 350 to make room for some juvies. :WHOA:

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Species name: Caquetaia umbrifera

Synonym: Caquetaia umbriferum, Cichlasoma umbriferum

Common Names: Turquiose cichlid, Umbie

Family: Cichlidae (Cichlids)

Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

Max. size: 50 cm / 20 inches

Environment: freshwater

Origin: South America. Atrato and Magdalena River drainages in Colombia and Tuíra and Chucunaque River drainages in Panama.

Temperament: Highly aggressive

Company: In very large aquariums, other large aggressive fishes. However, in normal aquariums it's recommended to keep this cichlid as a solitary fish.

Water parameters: pH 7.0-8.0, temperature 25-28°C / 77-82° F

Aquarium setup: Large aquariums is a must. Decorate with large rocks and roots that are fixed so that the cichlids can't move them and cause damage to themselves or the aquarium. All technical equipment most be secured. Do not use plants or other sensitive decorations since they will be destroyed. Need adequate hiding places for weaker specimens.

Feeding: Accepts all kinds of food.

Breeding: Can be bred in aquariums. The breeding process must be monitored since the male might kill the female if she isn't ready to spawn when he is. Using a divider is recommended when you are trying to breed this cichlid.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
So the panama green is just a larger version of the umbriferus?

Because all that info is for the umbriferus and I was wondering how different the panama green are.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Tis not gonna be spectabile...lol...Rapps knows his fish....;)...if he says its 'panama green' its gonna be the panama green. They are a special color strain on the regular umbie...;).....same type of fish, just different color...;)

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
SteveL91 said:
"Panama Green" =

Photo taken off Rapps' main page.
yup, that looks like the fish that was given to me. my buddy said he was too mean, and he paid $100 for the 8" specimen. I had him solitary, until I moved him to a larger tank, and two days later, he keeled over. Don't know why. Must be overly sensitive to water quality?

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
hah, yeah dude. I'm gonna speak to my lfs and have them special order me 4 or so of these suckers. Not very often something like this comes along. Might be looking to get rid of some of my other fishies in the 350 :D . Besides the spectabile of course :grinyes:

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I emailed rapps, and he told me that you could conceivably fit one of these green into a 75-90 gallon tank comfortably.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store