aimara Growth rate?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Whats the typical growth rate for aimara wolf fish? first year and to two feet? Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
N nzafi

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Whats the typical growth rate for aimara wolf fish? first year and to two feet? Thanks
Mine got to 18in quickly and then slowed down. It got to 24in after close to 3 years. I think I have the details in my main thread but don’t recall off the top of my head.

I’ve had him in a 535g by himself for 20 months now with a 50gpd drip.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Mine got to 18in quickly and then slowed down. It got to 24in after close to 3 years. I think I have the details in my main thread but don’t recall off the top of my head.

I’ve had him in a 535g by himself for 20 months now with a 50gpd drip.
Thank you for the reply. Do you feel that size tank will be big enough or will you need to upgrade?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hoping it will be big enough. There is only one person I know of that grew an aimara out on MFK and I think it took about 8 years and they got it to 32-33in I believe. It was actually in a smaller tank than mine. My guy is active but doesn’t swim a ton. If he stays under 3ft I’m sure it will be fine. And I’m pretty sure he’ll stay under 3ft.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
N nzafi - ever try the co hab? Any suggestions? Gonna start with same size common pleco...

hoping to keep it with a bass or arow eventually. If not solo good too...

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
N nzafi - ever try the co hab? Any suggestions? Gonna start with same size common pleco...

hoping to keep it with a bass or arow eventually. If not solo good too...
Never tried a cohab. A number of folks have been successful with cohab but it needs to be a fish that can hold its own and is probably larger than the aimara. Also, when I say successfull I mean the cohab lasts 1-3 years. I am not sure if anyone has done it truly long term.

I would have loved to try a cohab but I can only have one fish tank. I have no space for a second tank if the aimara decided to go after the tank mate and I am not the type to leave that fish in the tank to get killed.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Never tried a cohab. A number of folks have been successful with cohab but it needs to be a fish that can hold its own and is probably larger than the aimara. Also, when I say successfull I mean the cohab lasts 1-3 years. I am not sure if anyone has done it truly long term.

I would have loved to try a cohab but I can only have one fish tank. I have no space for a second tank if the aimara decided to go after the tank mate and I am not the type to leave that fish in the tank to get killed.
Good point... thanks for info!

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just curious how come you’re looking into an aimara and what your plans for a tank are. I’m bored and it doesn’t seem like too many members still get them so just curious.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami

Can you not try a species like a redtail or pacu maybe a piranha???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store