Albino Oscar shedding Skin? Please HELP !!!

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
91-100%
How frequently do you change your water?
Infrequently; more than a month between changes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I’ve got two Albino Oscars, a male and female, I’ve noticed the skin shed on the male one, and I haven’t seen them quarrel anytime. A few days ago I noticed my aquarium colour changed to a light colour, like foggy, so I turned on another filter and it came back to normal, now I started noticing this on my Oscar. Changed the water 3 months ago, and that’s when I got the male, female Oscar just recently.

8262C062-54C2-4947-ABBB-0523B6813A8A.jpeg

E7099B10-AC0F-4832-9AE7-DF33438253CA.jpeg

6DC2C6C0-2F99-45CB-9B4A-DEBE53DAD80C.jpeg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Your tank has very poor water quality due to the lack of weekly water changes required for an oscar. You said,

Changed the water 3 months ago, and that’s when I got the male, female Oscar just recently.
You need a liquid test, you need to do more weekly water changes. Start with 25% water change every day for 1 week, until you can measure the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

What is the size of this tank?

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
Your tank has very poor water quality due to the lack of weekly water changes required for an oscar. You said,

You need a liquid test, you need to do more weekly water changes. Start with 25% water change every day for 1 week, until you can measure the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

What is the size of this tank?
My tank size is 64 inch (Length) x 24 inch (Width) x 23 inch (Height). And thanks for the reply ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks like injuries that got infected, fuzzy could indicate fungal infection. Just because you don’t see them fighting doesn’t mean they aren’t fighting (FWIW it’s hard to sex oscars, but even a male and female can fight).
I agree that water quality is a big issue here. While 150 gallons is enough for 2 oscars, they need a very big water change schedule to keep them healthy. I would be doing at least 80-90% every other week, weekly being ideal.

Reactions: ULTIMATE GODSPEED

ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2021
Looks like injuries that got infected, fuzzy could indicate fungal infection. Just because you don’t see them fighting doesn’t mean they aren’t fighting (FWIW it’s hard to sex oscars, but even a male and female can fight).
I agree that water quality is a big issue here. While 150 gallons is enough for 2 oscars, they need a very big water change schedule to keep them healthy. I would be doing at least 80-90% every other week, weekly being ideal.
We had bought another bigger male oscar 3 weeks ago and it used to quarrel with this one, so we exchanged that with a female Oscar. This male was hurt a bit and lost tiny scales but I’m sure it got healed cause I didn’t see it again, so you’re telling it could be from that? Also do Oscars generally heal quicker?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
We had bought another bigger male oscar 3 weeks ago and it used to quarrel with this one, so we exchanged that with a female Oscar. This male was hurt a bit and lost tiny scales but I’m sure it got healed cause I didn’t see it again, so you’re telling it could be from that? Also do Oscars generally heal quicker?
All fish heal well and quickly with good water quality.

Reactions: ULTIMATE GODSPEED

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Having never had an Oscar, I can’t comment on their exact healing rate, but given good quality water cichlids can heal rather fast. It could have not healed since fighting the previous one or the new one. Poor water quality causes poor healing.
The wound does look infected though.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
+1 to what everyone else said on water quality and frequency of replacements. Many fish will show slime/skin problems when the water quality starts dropping, and it can also manifest itself in excess/shedding slime coat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store