Algae bloom from driftwood?

Treekiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2017
Florida
So I found this amazing old live oak tree that had to have been laying dead for many years.. I grabbed my chainsaw and chewed off some huge chunks of the root of the tree, took them home and gave them a very through presssure-washing and set some of the wood in my 150 gal aquarium. Now my water is a greenish tinge. I run a 9watt UV sterilizer and have doubled-up on the water changes. Unfortunately after Googling this to death (to no avail), I am assuming that I will have to remove this incredible looking driftwood ... Unless anyone here can tell me how to keep it in there and what else I can do in order to have clear water again?

Aside from said sterilizer, filtration is one 525gph Sunsun canister filter (bio-filter), and one 525gph Gretch canister filter (mech-filter). And I should also mention most of the driftwood is too large to boil or bake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
Do use carbon? I had the samething happen. I got piece of drift wood off the banks of the Ohio river. I soaked it for 3 months in bleach water and then a month in regular water. It turned my tank brown, i final started running marinland black diamond and it came right out.

Treekiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2017
Florida
Do use carbon? I had the samething happen. I got piece of drift wood off the banks of the Ohio river. I soaked it for 3 months in bleach water and then a month in regular water. It turned my tank brown, i final started running marinland black diamond and it came right out.
Ok so after letting the pumps run with about 30oz of activated carbon for a week, I decided to 86 the driftwood completely. It got bad. Really bad. Now after a big water change it is back to clear (no discoloration), however I think it's doing a mini-cycle because it's pretty cloudy (I am assuming due to the fact I had to remove so much water?)

Anyone have instructions on how to change an avatar by chance?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store