Algae Eaters for a 75 gallon predator tank?

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
What algae eaters can I put in a 75 gallon predator tank? The only catch is that it NEEDS to be compatable with a bichir, ie, not eating its slime coat. This is very important as the bichir is basically the only reason im getting the tank, (I am upgrading when the bichir gets too big, however.) What algae eaters would you recommend, if any?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
This is my favorite
1636230894443.jpeg

In all seriousness, a bn pleco would probably be fine. They are the best algae eating pleco and not usually interested in slime coats. This is all dependent on bichir type and tank stocking.

Nothing has done a better job on algae for me than a good algae scraper, lots of water changes, and high plant density though.

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
This is my favorite
View attachment 1478221

In all seriousness, a bn pleco would probably be fine. They are the best algae eating pleco and not usually interested in slime coats. This is all dependent on bichir type and tank stocking.

Nothing has done a better job on algae for me than a good algae scraper, lots of water changes, and high plant density though.
Hey, thanks a lot, I can't get plants because i plan on putting a few cichlids in the tank aswell, but I will certainly look into an algae scraper and bn pleco. Once again, thanks a lot.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What kinds of cichlids?
I ask because I have hornwort growing well with a jd, parrot, convict, and leporinus (characin that likes plants). Floating plants do well.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Hey, thanks a lot, I can't get plants because i plan on putting a few cichlids in the tank aswell, but I will certainly look into an algae scraper and bn pleco. Once again, thanks a lot.
Cichlids doesn't mean you can't do plants. I have plants with some of my cichlids. Pond snails, mystery snails or nerite snails work well. I prefer nerites as they do not reproduce in freshwater.

Reactions: DMD123 and Deadeye

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
What kinds of cichlids?
I ask because I have hornwort growing well with a jd, parrot, convict, and leporinus (characin that likes plants). Floating plants do well.
Green Terror, Starry NIght, Red Tiger Motaguense, truthfully I had forgotten about floating plants.
Cichlids doesn't mean you can't do plants. I have plants with some of my cichlids. Pond snails, mystery snails or nerite snails work well. I prefer nerites as they do not reproduce in freshwater.
That is also true, snails would certainly do well, only thing I worry about is that they might get eaten, but im being irrational.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Pond or mts snails usually stay off the radar of anything other than snail eaters.
Those cichlids will tolerate tough plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store