Algae Eaters for Patio Pond

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Hello, my patio pond recently bloomed with algae, and I was wondering what algae eaters to get. The pond is not heated, and can get as low as 49. It is stocked with 5 Rosy Barbs, and potentially 2 Cory Catfish. The Pond’s plants are Anacharis, and Variegated Water Lily. I want a fish that would eat the weird stringy algae in my pond. The pond holds 42 gallons, but with the plants and the pot, probably 35. I do weekly water changes on it. I would also like (if possible) for it to be native to the US, but not influence my water changing schedule to biweekly. Any thoughts?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I would say some type of invert would be best. Snails, shrimps, scuds. I can’t think of a good algae eating coldwater fish, but then again I don’t know many coldwater fish at all.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Fat Homer Fat Homer , are there any oddball cold water fish that eat algae? Also, I will look into shrimp or scuds.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Ok, so she gets a shipment of American Flagfish tomorrow. Apparently, she gets shipments every 2 months, so I am lucky. I think I'll grab 4. What do you think? Will the Rosy Barbs mind them?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’d get 6 cause strength in numbers. Barbs shouldn’t mind too much.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store