Algae Eaters for Patio Pond

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Flag fish eats stringy algae and I think native? I think goldfish would also eat hairy and stringy algae aswell

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I know goldfish do. For one thing, I only heard of flagfish one time, and that was when I was picking up the barbs. I'm picking up a school of 6 today. Thanks for your help everyone!

Reactions: Deadeye

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Hello, my patio pond recently bloomed with algae, and I was wondering what algae eaters to get. The pond is not heated, and can get as low as 49. It is stocked with 5 Rosy Barbs, and potentially 2 Cory Catfish. The Pond’s plants are Anacharis, and Variegated Water Lily. I want a fish that would eat the weird stringy algae in my pond. The pond holds 42 gallons, but with the plants and the pot, probably 35. I do weekly water changes on it. I would also like (if possible) for it to be native to the US, but not influence my water changing schedule to biweekly. Any thoughts?
if you haven’t you should list the type of algae bc it makes a big difference. if its an algae bloom in the watercolumn then filter feeding micro crustaceans are your best friend. youd have trouble keeping your water green if you add daphnia.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I am not sure what kind, just the stringy algae you get in ponds, and on the side of the pond, brownish-green algae. My priority, though, is the string algae.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Probably hair algae, most algae eating crustaceans will take care of it. Native crayfish would do good.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I have been thinking of crawdads, but they are very destructive and will tear apart the plants inside. I enjoy flagfish, because of there color. I am pretty sure they eat string algae

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Also, this is taken strait from an article about flagfish:

“ American flagfish are omnivores, and feed on crustaceans, algae, insects and plant matter in the wild.” And then later on “It's very important that you regularly provide them with vegetables, especially if there isn't much hair algae for them to feed on in their tank.”

So they do eat hair algae. I”m picking a group of 6 up in an hour.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store