MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
I’d say nitrate is 20 ppm? It’s kind of hard to tell

image.jpg

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
It was 50% once a week but I’m leaving for the summer and my dad will be taking care of the tanks. Sadly, the water probably will not be changed again until august

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would see if you can convince your dad to do a couple water changes while you're gone. The lack of water changes for that length of time could kill your fish due to high nitrates, and certainly won't help with the diatom algae. If he absolutely refuses, I would do a very large water change at the last possible time before you go. Hopefully the plants will help keep the water safe.

Lars6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2018
Ok I’ll see what I can do. I’ve seen videos on YouTube where people don’t do water changes for like 6 weeks at a time and was wondering how it was possible.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Very low bioload, and having lots of plants to absorb the nitrates. Also, just because people on youtube do it, doesn't mean it's great for the fish. I have seen plenty of cruel things on youtube. Not saying all people who have low-maintenance setups are cruel, some are designed in ways that negate the effects of nitrates or they have drip systems that change small amounts of water constantly. But seeing as how your tank is generating enough ammonia to bring nitrates to 20ppm each week, I think it's safe to say this isn't that kind of setup.
I would also recommend cutting back on feeding if you have to go without the water changes. Fish can go for days easily without eating, and if they eat less, they make less waste, and the water will stay safer longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store