Alligator Gar & Longnose Gar

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Spatula;4154754; said:
Little update on a lesson learned tonight, keep seperate when feeding just the Gator Gar.
Luckily it wasn't a very serious bite, more of just a nip.
My girl is cooking Halibut tonight so I cut off a little strip for the Gator Gar. I threw it in the tank and he snatched it up quickly, but since it was a bigger piece and still had the skin on it he was chomping on it as he drew it down his throat. While he was swallowing it there was a LITTLE TINY piece kinda hanging out of the side of his mouth. The Longnose went up to take a sniff at it and the Gator Gar gave him a little snap to let him know not to to do that. Since that they are cool again and are chillin on the bottom hanging out together. But next time I will put in the dividing board or feed the LNG a shrimp to something to keep him preoccupied.
i'm pretty sure the gator gar gave him a little snap because he thought the longnose gar was food...

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
xander;4154873; said:
i'm pretty sure the gator gar gave him a little snap because he thought the longnose gar was food...
Naw, when the Gator Gar thinks something is food he does a lot more than what he did to the LNG tonight.
If he thought it was food there would be no LNG as of right now.

I really think they are getting along pretty well. My main fish guy said they were showing signs of pre-mating rituals or "checking each other out" as he noticed the LNG is constantly sticking his beak down in the "lower" region of the Gator Gar. Maybe they will.... naw that's just silly talk right now :grinno:

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Spatula;4154901; said:
Naw, when the Gator Gar thinks something is food he does a lot more than what he did to the LNG tonight.

I really think they are getting along pretty well. My main fish guy said they were showing signs of pre-mating rituals or "checking each other out" as he noticed the LNG is constantly sticking his beak down in the "lower" region of the Gator Gar. Maybe they will.... naw that's just silly talk right now :grinno:
Sounds like dominance touching with the snouts. You really aren't going to keep telling yourself that things are going well as these little bites and snaps from the gator become more frequent, are you?

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Madding;4155182; said:
Sounds like dominance touching with the snouts. You really aren't going to keep telling yourself that things are going well as these little bites and snaps from the gator become more frequent, are you?
It was literally the first and only snap ever, and it wasn't even a hard snap. Just more of a nip and it was because he had food hanging out of his mouth.
I'm serious when I say I think they're gonna be OK together.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Spatula;4154901; said:

your "main fish guy" doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to gars. that behavior is definitely NOT pre-mating and it's doubtful the longnose is old enough to be mature and the gator definitely is not (and would therefore not be giving off appropriate pheromones). it's dominance behavior as Madding said.

the nip is just a taste of what is to come...if the LNG ever has a piece of food hanging out of its mouth and the gator wants it, the gator could easily snap off the snout in the process of taking it.

once again bad idea. only going to get worst in all likelihood. good luck with the gars--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Spatula;4155464; said:
It was literally the first and only snap ever, and it wasn't even a hard snap. Just more of a nip and it was because he had food hanging out of his mouth.
I'm serious when I say I think they're gonna be OK together.
and you can be "serious" when you say that, but it doesn't make it so. also, you have a sample of 1 in making your statement, against other data which suggests otherwise. really, since this isn't even a successful "experiment" yet, your basis for this is merely opinion based on a sample of zero.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I thought that kinda behavior was cute too.. until I woke up from a loud splash and my Silver Arrowana partially skinned.. that nose bumping is bad new bears. Thankfully my Silver wasn't badly injured, and was immediately removed to a QT tank. I don't think your LNG will have the same luck I hate to say. Sadly I'de kill to get my hands on anything but a Florida or Gator. I hope you do the right thing and seperate those fish soon.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
good luck...surprised it's lasted this long. I wish I could have the LNG instead

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store