alligator gar size

Lemonhaus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2016
Interesting fish. I've only kept mine for 6 weeks. Bought 2 gators on 6th Feb around 5 inches long. By early March they were 7 inches. Got another longnose last week which is smaller than them. All 3 are currently in a 4 foot 120G tank. Will be moving them to the 8 foot fiberglass tank by end of this year.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
So I recently moved 2 of my platinum gars into their new home. The larger one measured 38 inches and the smaller one measured 36 inches. Hopefully they will hit 42 inches by the end of this year. I now can feed freely and not have to worry about them outgrowing this tank for the next few years. The tank is 19ft x 8ft x 3.5ft. My only regret is not building a taller tank. The spatulas need at least a 6ft tall tank. Here is a video of the gars and their tank. Once the filters are fully operational (only the Ultima is running) the rest of the gang will join these guys (3 more platinum spatulas and another SB spatula). I hope you guys enjoy this video.

Ohlins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2017
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg Hi Vincent, kind of off topic but, whats the difference between snow gars and platinum gars, I also noticed that some of these white/platinum gars have spots on their tails, do they go away when they get larger? thank you.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg Hi Vincent, kind of off topic but, whats the difference between snow gars and platinum gars, I also noticed that some of these white/platinum gars have spots on their tails, do they go away when they get larger? thank you.
snow gars are just a higher grade fish... better colors when younger but once they get over 3ft.. I think it would be hard to tell the snow vs. A grade apart. And yes most of the black spots on the tails will go away once they are bigger.

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
snow gars are just a higher grade fish... better colors when younger but once they get over 3ft.. I think it would be hard to tell the snow vs. A grade apart. And yes most of the black spots on the tails will go away once they are bigger.
any updates?

Reactions: M3AN ONE

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
AR1 AR1 Vince hasn't had these gars for years now. He downsized a lot, almost left the hobby versus his prior volumes. He plans to come back bigger and better with a lazy river exhibit.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store