Am I or will I be overstocked?

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
unknownuza13;507691; said:
I think your stocking levels are fine for a 120. I would be more concerned with the filtration. I'm not sure which model the 1500 is but I have two cascade canisters running at the moment. In my opinion they are below average filters. I bought both of mine for 75% off because a local fish store was going out of business. I would definately add another filter to your set up even if its a overhang filter. Do you have any bio media inside the Canister or are you just running it with the white filter type pads it comes with. If you don't have any already I would consider adding some type of media for a more abundant amount of beneficial bacteria to grow on. Just to give you an idea on my 125 gallon I have a Cascade filter. (the biggest model they have) Supposedly good for 200 gallon tanks. A wet dry filter that has a few gallons of bio balls and ten pounds or so of lava rock and an emperor 400 overhang filter. The only fish in the tank are six red hook silver dollars and a 10" Cobra pike. Your stocking level seems fine for the size tank just step up the filtration a bit.
I agree. Your stocking level is fine, maybe even undercrowded. But I do think you should invest in more filtration. It's probably not a big deal now, but as all of your cichlids start getting bigger, it will be. I wouldn't be too worried about the GT. In my experience, given enough space, they are not very aggressive at all. In fact, I have seen a large pair of GTs kept in a tank with angels, dwarf pikes and a bunch of tetras with no aggression problems whatsoever. My 5" GT is currently in a 100 with an assortment of other fish, and he's fine. He used to quarrel a bit with an oscar that used to be housed with him, but it was only when they passed each other and then given the space that they had, that wasn't very often nor very fierce.

BloodThirsty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
Indiana
Thanks for the info. I will look into getting another canister. :)

Oh yeah, I'm running the floss pads as well as the carbon that came with it. The tank has only been running for about 4 months now. So I'm going to be replacing the carbon soon. Just don't know with what.

I do also have a powerhead running to move the water around a bit more. I just have an aquaclear filter stuck on the end of it.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
BloodThirsty;507728; said:
Thanks for the info. I will look into getting another canister. :)

Oh yeah, I'm running the floss pads as well as the carbon that came with it. The tank has only been running for about 4 months now. So I'm going to be replacing the carbon soon. Just don't know with what.

I do also have a powerhead running to move the water around a bit more. I just have an aquaclear filter stuck on the end of it.
Yeah, your stocking is fine. You could even add a fish.

I aggree on more filtration for sure. Another canister should do the job.

Make sure to do once a week water changes and you'll be just fine. :)
You can replace the carbon with more bio-rings or balls or maybe just some filter floss to polish the water a little more.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
I think youll be ok. I myself would dump the GT an chocolate cichlid an add acouple more Bala sharks an anothe pleco. but thats me

BloodThirsty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
Indiana
Die Fledermaus;507733; said:
Yeah, your stocking is fine. You could even add a fish.

I aggree on more filtration for sure. Another canister should do the job.

Make sure to do once a week water changes and you'll be just fine. :)
You can replace the carbon with more bio-rings or balls or maybe just some filter floss to polish the water a little more.
Thanks for the ideas. As far as adding another canister goes.....what would you all suggest? Should I get another cascade? I don't want to spend a ton of money but I don't want to waste any either. Thanks.

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
milkman407;492173; said:
Imho i dont think so but i like to overstock my tank just so its something nicer to look at and see the tank so active

my tank is this
120 gallon:
2 silver arowanas (when the 75 gallon is cycled it will go in there)
4 clown loaches
clown kinfe
2 brchirs
4 bala sharks
baby oscar
lima catfish
2 royal plecos

75gal:
silver arowana ( when the tnak is cycled of course)
archer fish
Normal pleco
ill probably put the oscar in the 10 gallon i have untill he is bigger

just to let u know my arrow was in a 125 and grew from 5 inches to 24 inches in one year. now i have a 220 gallon but started over with a new arrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store