Amazing Coloration on My Oscar !

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Don't know the import laws of where you are at, but, to me....that looks like a Bahia Oscar. And I alway thought stressed out oscars would become more of a washed out color....

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Don't know the import laws of where you are at, but, to me....that looks like a Bahia Oscar. And I alway thought stressed out oscars would become more of a washed out color....
+1
stress shows itself in a few different ways with oscars. One way is the faded color, but faded for the whole fish, not just the tiger pattern. This particular pattern can be shown for various reasons including moods.

Stress will certainly show itself through the fish's behavior, no one knows the fish better than the owner.

As others have pointed out, the fish is healthy and the fins are not clamped. its not stressed

This is a particular pattern that some oscars have. True, most oscars do not show this sort of pattern but quality oscars of certain genetics can. I have searched far and wide for this pattern/color. They are out there and its not because of stress

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
+1
stress shows itself in a few different ways with oscars. One way is the faded color, but faded for the whole fish, not just the tiger pattern. This particular pattern can be shown for various reasons including moods.

Stress will certainly show itself through the fish's behavior, no one knows the fish better than the owner.

As others have pointed out, the fish is healthy and the fins are not clamped. its not stressed

This is a particular pattern that some oscars have. True, most oscars do not show this sort of pattern but quality oscars of certain genetics can. I have searched far and wide for this pattern/color. They are out there and its not because of stress
Yep...I've own many oscars and many variants of them. True, that only the owner can tell the moods of the Oscar/s. But the closest I found to op's color and pattern is the Bahia Oscar. Solid black, near cream stripes and peppered red on the majority on the belly side.

Oh, Jeff Rapps has a pair of Bahia red oscars for sale. (tangledupincichlids) check him out.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
I couldnt really find good pics of bahias. The ones I did find were all babies and I am not even going to guess species/type. I will say my O looks VERY similar and was purchased as a tiger. Of course, you never know these days who was cross bred with who....

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
+1

100% true

xellos

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2012
Beirut, Lebanon
Dude I am in ****in Lebanon , there are no import laws here ! I can import an RPG and no one says **** !!

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Dude I am in ****in Lebanon , there are no import laws here ! I can import an RPG and no one says **** !!
Relax guy. Like I said...I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR LAWS ARE. Fine, get a rpg, so what And your point being?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store