American cichlid compatibility

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Just search on Google; are electric blue acaras hybrids?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Just search on Google; are electric blue acaras hybrids?
There isn't anything definite, just theories. If you could point to where someone was able to actually take a blue acara and breed with a ram, artificially or naturally, and have pictures of fry through adult stage that would be helpful.

Reactions: FishBeast

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
There is nothing to suggest that any electric blue fish is a hybrid. There has also never been a documented case of Mikrogeophagus spawning with Andinoacara.

Please don’t post misinformation. Some of us strive to make sure there is accurate information, but uninformed claims make that difficult and are ultimately a detriment to the hobby.

To answer your other question, I would not add any more cichlids to this tank. Geophagus sp. Tajapos do best in groups which you don’t have room for, and jewels are aggressive (and African), so the cramped quarters would likely cause problems.

Hempy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2017
Aren't you spreading misinformation by saying there's nothing to suggest they are hybrids when there are full articles on Google explaining that they, in fact, are hybrids? Yes, there may not be any solid evidence but if your going to insinuate something like that then show me your evidence that they are line bred. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion but if you feel the need to share it here then start your own thread and have fun with it.
Ps. Please don't leave any but-hurt replies...

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/2017/5/24/electric-blue-fish-or-the-aquarium
This article explains the different theories surrounding the EBA's origins and generally agrees with the theory that they are most likely engineered hybrids created in a lab, and not simply line-bred Blue Acaras. Interesting read.

Regarding a "straight answer" to your questions-
Your tank is fully stocked cichlid-wise. I would not add a jewel. As far as the Malawi-style peacock tank, I assume you mean an all-male community? You would need a tank three times the size of yours to give that a good try with CA cichlids in my opinion.

Reactions: FishBeast

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Aren't you spreading misinformation by saying there's nothing to suggest they are hybrids when there are full articles on Google explaining that they, in fact, are hybrids?
Do you mean the articles you have not linked to?

Here's the issues: true hybrids are extraordinarily difficult to achieve in nature simply because that's how species operate. Selective breeding for color within a species (initiated by humans) however is many factors easier because it's not crossing species.

That's based on science ---- not what someone heard someone else claim.

Interestingly enough, your argument seems to be that hybrids is a more plausible explanation (over selective breeding) because people on the interweb repeat the same theories over and over. That's wholly incorrect.

Whenever you have 2 competing claims, one highly plausible and one highly implausible, it's misinformation to argue the implausible one is correct simply because people have said so.

If people want to claim it's a hybrid, they can pull the DNA and prove it. Until someone does that, it's unsupportable to keep claiming it.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store