American Cichlid tank stocklist?

JohnniGade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Hi guys! I have been keeping Discus and Malawi for many years, but I am looking for something new. I got a 100 gal tank with filtration that turns the volume four times an hour and I would like to make it a community American Cichlid tank. I saw a couple of these monsters and they are amazing. I am not sure how compatible they are though and this is where I need your help. I've tried to put together a list of cichlids my local fishstore has. They are mostly around 3-4 inches the ones he sell. How does this look?

1 Albino Oscar
1 Red Terror
1 Honduran Red Point
1 Megasema
1 Winemilleri
1 Tapajos Red Head
1 Heros Severus Red
1 Jack Dempsey Blue
1 Salvini

This list is also for my own sake, since ive tried to list all of the ones that look cool, but I also know the list is too big. Which ones are a no go? Other suggestions? Im really new to this and I want to succed.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys! I have been keeping Discus and Malawi for many years, but I am looking for something new. I got a 100 gal tank with filtration that turns the volume four times an hour and I would like to make it a community American Cichlid tank. I saw a couple of these monsters and they are amazing. I am not sure how compatible they are though and this is where I need your help. I've tried to put together a list of cichlids my local fishstore has. They are mostly around 3-4 inches the ones he sell. How does this look?

1 Albino Oscar
1 Red Terror
1 Honduran Red Point
1 Megasema
1 Winemilleri
1 Tapajos Red Head
1 Heros Severus Red
1 Jack Dempsey Blue
1 Salvini

This list is also for my own sake, since ive tried to list all of the ones that look cool, but I also know the list is too big. Which ones are a no go? Other suggestions? Im really new to this and I want to succed.

Welcome to MFK ☺ You will have to upgrade 100 will be too small for that stocklist the Oscar will be the biggest contributor to the bio-load.

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
You could do the lesser of the aggressive of that list such as the geo cichlids (its better to have these in groups tho) with the heros and blue jack, but you would still need to up your filtration. It's best to have at the least 8x turnover for medium size cichlids

JohnniGade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Thank you for the replies :)

It there any of the fish on the list I should remove then? The Oscar is very messy you say, so I could remove that. Any other of them that arent compatible?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally would eliminate the Oscar, Red Terror, Salvini, and the Jack Dempsey. Would do a group of the Geo's of 1 species preferably the Geo Red Head Tapajos and the Severums. The CA cichlids are more aggressive of the list that is my reason for eliminating them .

JohnniGade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I personally would eliminate the Oscar, Red Terror, Salvini, and the Jack Dempsey. Would do a group of the Geo's of 1 species preferably the Geo Red Head Tapajos and the Severums. The CA cichlids are more aggressive of the list that is my reason for eliminating them .
Thank you. I will try to make an updated list. Are you cutting them because they are too agressive?

JohnniGade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
1 Golden Severus
1 Red Severus
1 Geophagus Megasema
1 Geophagus Winemilleri
1 Geophagus Tapajos Red Head
1 Geophagus
1 Jack Dempsey Blue

What about this list? :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
1 Golden Severus
1 Red Severus
1 Geophagus Megasema
1 Geophagus Winemilleri
1 Geophagus Tapajos Red Head
1 Geophagus
1 Jack Dempsey Blue

What about this list? :)

Geo's should be kept in a all 1 species group tbh but it's your aquarium so if that's what you would like to try it may work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store